Ashley sights

Mike Baugh

I was looking through the Brownells catalog and noticed the Ashley Ghost ring sights for the Marlin lever guns . Does anyone have any experience with them ? I was wondering about their quality , toughness and accuracy potential . Thanks , Mike...

Hello, had to stop and respond to this. Bought a set after reading an article about the Guide gun. Always thought my Marlin should have a ghost ring rear sight due to my military experience with them and the type of hunting I use the Marlin for. We had a slight "opps" on ordering because of the diff in front sight base mounts. I fiqured they should know- cause it was a brand new model. They correct the mistake with no cost to me(pre-paid return envelope) with speed and unbeatable service. I went with 2 rings under the one they recommend. I'm currently using the smallest-that would be 2 sizes under the one they normally send. It is a very cool set up and easy to change apertures(sp?) sizes without screwing up your zero. Bottom line..buy 'em you'll love 'em! Fast and furious.

Mike,
Just a short note on your question. I have known Ashley Emerson (the driving force behind Ashley Sights) since the time he worked with MMC sight company. The guy is the closest thing to a mechanical genius that I have come across in some time and is a very avid hunter/shooter. He believes that mechanical objects should be bull strong and fool proof and that covers everything from cars to guns to accessories for guns. Everyone that has tried his sights love 'em, including my brother who could tear up an anvil with a feather. I strongly recommend them and I recommend Ashley Emerson to anyone that wants a lively converation with very strong opinions on most any subject. If you do visit with him, tell him the skinny little highway patrolman still says that a .300 Weatherby is a little too strong for jack rabbits.
Take care and God bless,
Paladin

Like Paladin, I consider Ashley a friend. Like Paladin, I also consider him a genius...not in the sense of whiz-bang gadgetry, but in his ability to solve complicated issues simply. The products developed by him, including his Ghost Ring and Express Sights are a testimony to this genius.
Rich

When it comes to the Marlin lever-gun, the Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sight is our first choice and the favorite among our ammo customers. Save your scopes for your long range rifles, and put an Ashley ghost ring sight on your lever-gun. You won't be sorry!

I just bought the Wild West Ghost Rings for my Marlin lever gun.
A couple of observations. The rear sight sticks up too high. There are no gradation marks to use in sighting them in. Lastly, if you fail to use lock-tight or something similar you are asking for the aperture to go airborne at the first shot - I know, because mine did just that and it was only pure luck that it landed on a clear spot so I was able to find it.
Sooner or later, when I do lose the sight, I'll replace it with an Ashley which appears to be less likely to go airborne and is certainly less protrusive and liable to get knocked about in the brush.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I too am interested in putting an Ashley peep sight on my Marlin 30-30. But I do have some questions:
1. Are the ashley "ghost ring" and ashley peep sight the same?
2. Does this sight take the place of the regular buckhorn sight or is it installed in addition to the factory sight?
3. Where can I find one and how much $$$?
4. How bad to they look on the gun?
5. Will it increase the rifles accuracy significantly? (Im pretty weak with the factory sights)
Thanks

Bob S: The Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sight is far superior to any buckhorn, due primarily to the fact that it does not cut the target in half like the buckhorn sight does. It simply gives you a much fuller sight picture, and most everyone finds them to be much easier to shoot with good accuracy. Also, the high visibility front post is far better than the normal bead front sight. I can't shoot groups with my Marlin 45-70 using the Ashley that are as small as when using a scope, but I can regularly achieve 2-MOA, and that's plenty good enough for a lever-gun. They are sturdy in the extreme, and not at all obtrusive or obnoxious looking. Ashley sights can be researched at www.ashleyoutdoors.com

I just ordered a set of the Ashley ghost ring sights , I decided to also use their front base as it looked nicer than the factory one . Thanks for all the input , Mike...

Back