Ashley peep on Guide Gun???

Bob S

I have yet another guide gun question... I went to the range today and was not very pleased with my goups at 100 yards with the standard buckhorn sight. I've heard a lot of comments about the ashley sights, has anyone put them on their guide guns?? For those with ashley sights, I have a few questions:
1. Do you have to remove the buckhorn sight, or do you just fold it down as with a scope?
2. Are they fairly easy to adjust to point of aim? (I'd like it to hit right on at 100 yrds.)
3. Are they worth the $100 asking price for both the peep and front post?

Any help or other comments you guys could give me about the ashley sights would be great!!!

I use one on a Marlin 336 that I recently built up. I removed the rear site as I installed a scout type base to use a PDP3. The Ashley sites were dead on, but I have a feeling that this was more luck than anything. They are fully adjustable and easily done so. If you shop around you can get them cheaper. I've been using the stock front with the Ashley rear with great results.

Be Safe
Mike

I just installed the Ashley Ghost rings on a Marlin 336 . I removed the old rear sight and installed a dovetail blank and replaced the front base with an Ashley model also . I feel their standard size ghost ring [.190] is too large , I tried it and then ordered a .150 dia. rear [their smallest] and still feel it is too large , when looking through the .190 ring and centering the tip of the post I can see the entire front sight blade , base and a couple inches of barrel , I would prefer a .130 rear . With the .150 I can see the entire blade and most of the base , you should only see the blade . With a Guide gun the .150 might work because of the shorter sight radius . They are nice looking , well built and easy to adjust . I feel I was more accurate with the stock sights , but I like the field of view with the Ghost Rings . I used their suggested set and have the rear bottomed out against the reciever , actually I cut about .030 off the rear sight threads so I could completely bottom it against the sight base , this gave me 3 1/2 more revolutions down , and it still shoots about 4" high at 100 yards .Good luck , Mike...

Bob S:

The Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sight is the best ghost ring available. Unlike standard buckhorn sights, they do not cut the target in half, obscuring the bottom half of the target. However, as desireable as many find them, they are not for everyone. Some people find that they just cannot shoot good groups at 100-yds with ghost rings. Personally, I find them to be excellent, and capable of fine shot placement out to at least 150-yds.

Regarding their compatibility with 45-70 loads, that is variable depending upon the load and the height of the front post. If you like standard velocity factory loads, you will find that the front post which is the right height for those will not be right for high performance loading such as our's. Ashley Outdoors likes to sell their sights with a temporary front post arangement that allows the shooter to try several heights until the proper one is found for the preferred loads. Then the customer orders a front post of that height. However, it is not possible to use standard performance loads and high performance loads with the same front post. The rear sight (aperature) is height adjustable, but the range of adjustment will not accomodate the wide range of loads available for the 45-70.

Having said that, most guys are satisfied to chose either high performance loadings or standard performance loadings and stick with them. These ghost rings are rather expensive, but you get what you pay for. They are the best designed ghost rings we have seen to date.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

Bob S,
I put a set on my GG this morning. The original sight does not have to be removed but fitting the front post may take a very small amount of stoning (mine did). The factory folks strongly recommend the .230 aperture, particularly if you hunt deep-timber elk. Brownell's has a filler if you want to remove the buckhorn. The next and last thing I'm going to do is ditch the pad, which never should have gone on a potential kicker. The vents don't look particularly good and the addition of an internal beam keeps the pad from collapsing. Going to order a sporting clays Decelerator pad from Pachmyr.

Back