Ashley Express Sights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Looking for opinions from all who have tried these on a handgun. I am considering getting a pair for my Ruger P90 (used for in home self defense and CCW). Big Dot vs Standard Dot (both night and non-night sight versions)and also compared to other pistol sights. Thanks.

Big and fast! They are some of the fastest sights to acquire that I have ever tried. The downside to them is that for distance shots they are not very accurate. That dot does not allow for precise sight alignment at 25 yards and beyond, even closer with the BIG DOT version. Depends on what you are going to use the pistol for.

I've had an Ashley Express Bigdot on a Glock 21 for almost 2 years, now. I've shot it in a number of IPSC matches, and it is incredibly fast on close targets. However, it does make precise shot placement more difficult for me. Shooting plates, which I usually enjoy, becomes an exercise in frustration. I haven't switched over, in part because of the decrease in my precision.
15 yards was about the breakpoint for me with the bigdot. Beyond 15 yds it was a handicap, especially with small targets. 12-15 yards was probably a wash. Inside 12 yds on open targets, though, it is impressive.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

[This message has been edited by Tim Burke (edited September 20, 1999).]

Dig 'em. Got 'em on the G30. Have the BIG dot, non-tritium, (std vertical post rear), with the front big dot painted flourescent yellow. I think this is a very good setup for a defensive pistol. Really, who cares about longer shots (over 15 yards) for a defensive pistol, anyway? Very easy to acquire for my not-so-great eyesight.

Have the Big Dot tritium set-up on my Springfield. There is no faster sight around, however don't expect to punch out the 10X ring at 25 yards-the Big Dot just covers the target. For defense? You bet. If I could do it again (and I may) I'd go with the standard tritium dot for a comprimise. But since I only have one handgun (gasp!) I prefer to keep it set up as a premium defense gun, and these sights fit the bill perfectly. PS-that big ol tritium dot glowing at the muzzle is simply awesome. You've got to see it in the dark yourself to really appreciate it.

Ditto on John and others input.

I have the pleasure of knowing Ashley and having hunted with him. I have the priviledge of being the sponsor of his hunting lease in west TX this year.

Ashley's quite a character and simply a genius in sighting systems. He's also one hell of a shot and the finest 6'6" Texas story teller I've met....though he has no "Mute" button ;) (As has been said, "A little Ashley goes a long way" :))

Anyway, his express sights are outstanding; especially for the hunter and "40's vision" defensive handgunner. In Jeff Cooper's most recent (this week) newsletter, he commends Ashley on his production of an excellent ghost ring sight for rifles.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back