Ashley Big Dot & Kimber Ultra Carry

Mike in VA

I had an Ashley Big Dot put on my Ultra Carry as a Christmans present to me. Today I got to try them out, and I must say, I'm impressed. The work as advertized - very fast to acquire and accurate. I went with the tritium front, regualr rear, figuring in the dark, one should focus on teh front sight first, and given the up close & pesonal venue that the Ultra Carry plays to, it'd be sufficient.

I like to warn up with some basic target (bullseye) shooting (I use a Thomson Target product with 5 - 4" bulls on a page), then work on point-shooting on a B-27 or what ever the range has in stock that day. At first, I was trying to put the center of the dot on the center of the post on the center of the target, and found my self shooting 2" low at 25'. Then I tried puttint the big dot in the center of the bull and lining up the post, and the next thing I knew, I was cutting daisys out of the center. Front sight cneter, press, squeeze - oh, MIkee, we be shooting good today!

I then moved on to some strong side holster work, and I will say, I'm slow, I'm a beginner, but I sure was putting the rounds where they need to be. That big dot is just so easy & intuitive to pick up as you bring the gun to bear, press on X, squeeze, hit X, I was very pleased with myself. At this point, I'm just trying to learn the basic move with a 1911 (my daily carry is a SIG in a shoulder rig) where I acquire the gun, bring it to bear on target, sweep safety, finger to trigger, squeeze. I figure that if I work on smooth & accurate to start, speed will come.

At any rate, I'm thoroughly impressed with how well the Ashleys work on a defensive pistol. For pure plinking, they obscure too much of the target center, but as you practice, you realize that they can be quite accurate. The tritium works well in low light, and I also continue to be impressed with how well/accurately the little Kimber shoots. It's certainly snappy, recoil-wise, but it puts 'em where you point it. Nice day. M2

Yes they are. I originally put a set on a Glock and couldn't believe how much easier and faster it was to pick up the front sight. With a bit of practice you don't lose a whole lot on distance accuracy either. My regular carry gun (Les Baer Concept IX) is currently at the 'smith getting fitted with a set. I plan to put another set on my secondary carry piece (Kahr P9) very soon.

Back