ASAT bullets

ronl

Was given 350 ASAT 160 gr. .308 bullets. Anyone here familiar with them? Looking for some load data. Guess I will work up some loads using 155 data and see what happens. Just looking to possibly get a heads up in powder selection.

I assume you mean you are loading 308 Winchester, even though .308" diameter bullets are used in numerous 30 cal chamberings. Look at 165-grain data for Barnes solid bullets (bullets of similar construction) to stay on the safe side of pressure. The 5-grain weight difference won't mean much by itself, but by taking up more space in the case, some heavier bullet designs can raise pressure more than the weight difference alone account for. Use the usual suspects, 4895, 4064, Varget, N140, plus the various spherical propellants commonly used with 308 loads.

also of note, if you have to start somewhere always try to start with a heaver rather than a lighter substitute, lighter bullets max out with more powder and heaver ones with less powder.

safety says error on the side of .... well you know the story.

I was just checking. Barnes has 165-grain TSX and TTSX BT bullet data for H4895, TAC, IMR 4064, 748, BL-(C)2, Varget, and a couple of others here.

Back