Artwork recently acquired with two interpretations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a piece of art work including rights to distribute/sell(with royalty) from a local artist. I have a personal relationship with the artist and they weren't planning to do anything with he piece, so it is not as if i payed big money to get it.
The art work sent a clear message to me. I ran it past a few other people and they thought it sent the same message as I. Then someone was like, no totally different meaning and explained it to me. Upon reflection I decided they might be right. In the end I don't think it matters as that would actually just increase my market since there are two popular and relatively unrelated interpretations. With my interpretation I thought this item would be popular with 2A, "Tea Party," and the likes.
What is your interpretation of this civil rights related artwork?
Feel free to suggest changes that would increase the effectiveness of conveying the message. I personally would like to change the magazine, but have not come up with a good alternative.
I will get a copy of it with better copyright and website on it in the next few weeks if a forum member would like to use it as desktop wallpaper(I just scribbled that in paint before posting and the artist won't have time to make changes for me the next week or two). I would probably release it for similar non-merchandise and non-commercial electronic use to any currently active forum member if requested(it isn't like I am going to be able to enforce it anyways).

On a side note, would anyone be interested in a coffee mug/t-shirt with this on it? Any of you with shops even consider stocking it?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_3248.jpg
    100_3248.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
My first response was to close this, due to the amount of controversy it is sure to generate. However, I have decided not to, at this time, so, lets all see if we can be gentlemen (and ladies) and disagree in a polite manner.

Not being a very artistic person by nature, I'm afraid all it says to me is a political message, with childishly immature artwork. And I'm not entirely sure what the intended message is.

I understand that different people will get a different message, and I also understand how some people consider crude art to be a sign of "authenticity" or some other term relating to the passion of the artist, and not his technical prowess. But personally, I wouldn't pay a red cent for that image, and its unlikely I would display it if given to me free.

Your thoughts?

I don't think this will be as effective as you seem to.

The whole men's mag/ lifted skirt thing doesn't say 2nd amendment.

I don't really see much about 2A in it. The message I get is that the artist believes the U.S. is declining through moral corruption and apathy. I see it probably appealing more to evangelicals than anyone.

Yeah, I have to agree with some of the guys here. I'm unimpressed. I'm not a hard core right winger and I've seen better attempts at being poignant. I don't see this image when I look at the real Statue Of Liberty. I try to see hope, conviction, and justice.

It had plenty of impact on me. None of it good, however. Maybe I am just too straightforward of a type of guy, but I just don't see any value in it.

Anybody know what issue of Maxim that is?

44 Amp said:
My first response was to close this

Should've went with your gut feeling, IMHO.

My "gut" reaction, upon first reading this is: Another attempt to get around the partisan politics ban.

Closed. (with apologies to 44 AMP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back