Article on the Ferguson Rifle

Patrick Ferguson designed a breechloading rifle which were used for a period during the American Revolution. Here's a link to an article by National Park Ranger Bert Dunkerly. Dunkerly Article

The article was published by The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. If you're a muzzle loader, you might consider joining. They've published numerous articles of mine in the past and will be publishing another in April, 2007.

Thanks, Gary!

That's quite an article. I decided to print it out so I could read it before retiring for the evening as I warmed up the bed for the wife. (It was -15 here last night, and our master bedroom is over the unheated garage)

I just wish I could afford a Ferguson Rifle replica. ;)

The thought crossed my mine, but it's...

not an even trade for a replica Ferguson (about $5k methinks) for your 03A4.

Time will tell...

I'll be undergoing surgery to repair my ripped-apart right shoulder in the next couple weeks. Otherwise, any rifle I have above a .22 rimfire is just too much pain for me, including that 1903A4. They all look nice in their racks or in the safes, but don't do me much good if I can't shoot them. Depending on how things turn out, there may be some good deals to be had on some very nice guns as pictured in the last several years on THR. I'll post them in the For Sale section here and on GunsAmerica.Com. :(

DON'T !!!!!

Even if you can't shoot as well, you can switch to your off side. If that still hurts, there's no small satisfaction just looking at them in their racks. You could take some interested kid under your wing and instruct him in the proper use of all your neat junk.

Much as we all would like good deals, you getting rid of your rifles would hurt you much more than it could ever help us.

Steve

Won't work

Hey, Gary - -

I can't make that link work. Do you have an alternative link for the article? I'd really like to read it.

I've long been itnerested in the Ferguson Rifle. Only piece I ever read on it indicated that the accuracy was not all that great, wither with a VERY nicely made replica, or with AN ORIGINAL with a good bore. Of course, if your only yardstick is a .75 smoothbore musket, I guess your groups wouldn't need to be too tight. ;)

Best
Johnny

Johnny,

I went to the NMLRA site and found it was disabled. I didn't realize that they updated their website monthly instead of archiving the material.

Gary

It's actually the second article I'm aware of. Lance Klein wrote an excellent piece, That Most Barbarous Weapon several years ago.

Hi, Gary,

I couldn't resist. I just like to tweak those who confuse black powder guns, muzzle loaders and antiques.

Jim

Ranger Bert Dunkerly's article has been pulled off and replaced with a newer one by the NMLRA. However, the other article that I alluded to may still be found on the net by clicking here.

Ranger Dunkerly works at Kings Mountain National Military Park I believe.
If you visit,check out the portrait of Major Ferguson standing with a Ferguson rifle in the visitors center. It was on display last time I visited.
He's buried there,and a short walk takes you to his grave,which is roughly where he fell in the battle.

Back