Article on Hershel House

Sad to hear that. I never met him.

I worked with a man out of Cheyenne about 1980? or so. He went by "The Flintlocker" on his card. First name Ken.

He encouraged me to build a muzzle loader,and mentored me through a couple of them.

He turned me on to "The Foxfire Book" where Herschel built a Poor Boy step by step.

Thats all I know of Hershel. But you know.....it seems like a lot.Its like he was was helping me build a rifle.

So very sorry to hear Herschel House has contracted cancer. There's a fine youtube video that "Kentucky Afield," hosted by Tim Farmer, put out with a doubly fine interview Tim did with Herschel in his (Hershel's "undisclosed mancave") shop. I tried to post it here, but couldn't get it to work.

I watch the video probably near once a week because it's so downhome great. Herschel mentions in the video how a book he read in the 4th grade titled, "Singing Wheels," had a great impact on his love of American history, along with his granddad "who was a wealth of knowledge" on the Civil War and early American history. Herschel says in the video he still has a copy of the book, and just for grins, I surfed the net and picked up a copy, too, just because. Indeed, it's a cool novel about a kid heading West and receiving his lessons and knocks along the way. Very well illustrated, and more than a little detailed in frontier life descriptions. Anyway, one can't help but feel meeting Herschel would be like meeting an old friend; his personality, love of American history and love for his gun building shines through and through.

Then, at the end of the video, he shows the loading procedure for a muzzleloader to Tim and fires off a near instantaneous shot with his long rifle...and his follow through is flawless.

I just may have found the video here; once it opens, click on "Flintlock Rifles With Herschel House."
Also, the next video, "Flintlock Craftsman," is a fine one, too. It's an interview Tim gives with Mike Miller, another absolute master gun-builder.

www.google.com/search?q=kentucky+afield/herschelhouse

God Bless Herschel, and hopefully he will beat this challenge to his health and livelihood. He's an American treasure, certain sure.

And Happy 4th of July to all!

Back