Arrrggghhh! Help me decide!

Kevinch

My wife has given the "go ahead" for me to buy yet another gun - and 2 short months after she bought me an Ultra CDP for my birthday. My dealer has offered me a really good deal on either of the 2 choices I am down to. I need to tell him by tomorrow afternoon. I can't decide!

It is either a Custom Classic or Stainless Classic. The difference in price is $70 more for SS.

I know that the frame of the Custom is stainless - I had that confirmed by the Custom Shop at Kimber. The gun will be primarily my range pistol - & maybe for some IDPA shooting if I would ever find a club close by.

So...given the situation, which would you buy?

Given the uses for the gun you have stated I would go for the blued gun. If you were going to carry it regularly you might go with the SS. While it can't be denied that both would serve you well, I think the blued, carbon steel will make a more durable, better range/comp/"shoot alot" gun than the SS. Personally, I like the look of the blue finish better. Whatever you decide, be particularly sweet to the wife. Take care.

Go for the SS. Even more people will be turning their heads when you7 go to the range. In the end I am sure you will be happy with the SS finish. Here is why. if you get the regular finish your going to at one point or another say "I could have gotten the SS" if you get the SS your never say I could have gotten the lesser of the two.

i would put both names in a hat and draw,then go buy the one you drawed and in a few months go buy the other one,you know you want them both,thats what i would do

While I prefer blued semis in general, I would go for the stainless. ESPECIALLY if it makes you "ooh and ahh."
Congrats on the future purchase.

Stainless works for me.

View

I wouldn't pay $70 to impress other people. I would pay $70 for stainless steel though. I want corrosion resistant firearms.

Shok

that is exactly the same problem i faced a week ago. from what i understand, the stainless is easier to maintain where as the blue keeps its shape longer. slide and barrel that is. And another thing, from what ive been told, for competition shooting the blue is supposed to be the better way to go. All that said.... i got the stainless. oh well

ditty said:

from what i understand, the stainless is easier to maintain where as the blue keeps its shape longer. slide and barrel that is. And another thing, from what ive been told, for competition shooting the blue is supposed to be the better way to go.

What do you mean, "the blue keeps it shape longer", and why would the blue be better for competition?

g6t60: well, a collection of CDP pistols would be nice - but: 1).I really want an all steel pistol for the range, so I don't have to be remotely concerned over frame wear, and 2). Another $900+ for a pistol may be just a little too rich for my gracious wife - & even me - to swallow now. But - enjoy your purchase!

Thanks ditty - & to everyone - for the advice.

Kevin

I no expert but my understanding is that "carbon" steel is simply stronger and has a greater tendency to corrode while SS is softer (so galling is a potential problem) and has a lesser tendency to corrode. There was a post I read recently either here or more likely on 1911.com that made these points in greater detail. I think I have the right conclusions but I don't know enough to give you all the right reasons. Take care.

What you wrote.... (see thread starter)

What I read...

My wife just bought me a 1911, and now she says I can have a 1911. I'm trying to decide between a 1911 and a 1911. Can you guys help me make this incredibly difficult decision? :D :D :D

I love you 1911 guys.... you're so funny :)

Poor Onslaught...

:rolleyes:

I was going to try to open the window for you, but then the expression my Harley-riding friends came to mind & I think it applies here:

IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

:D buy a quality 1911 Onslaught - then you'll undestand!! :D

There is only one solution...

Buy a Stainless..(Baer Concept V)
Buy a Blued..(Gunsite GSP 2000)
Buy a Two Tone..(wilson Combat Classic) thats what I did :)

so get that Stainless, and start saving for the blued. 2 out of 3 ain't bad after all.

Then get to work on sizes..Commander, officer, Officer slide on full size frame, 6" barrel, Comped racegun...

Back