Army vs. Navy

Cactus Jake

Inactive
Hey you B.P. shooters and Remmie lovers.I have a New army 36 Cal Remington Police Revolver (Pietta). Are these the same as a New Navy 36 caliber Remington? Are the cylinders the same ,loading levers, cylinder pins? Can the cylinders be swapped?
Thanks for any info. Cactus

I think they are. At least to me the term "Police" is just a technical/marketing term at best. Usually that is a modified pistol that has a shorter barrel so the cops can carry them under their coats easier. Usually 5 inch barrels instead of 7+ inch barrels.

They are a pain to load as I understand it. The loading arm is so short on them it can be difficult to seat a round ball in the chamber. Remingtons can be less of a problem because you can take the cylinder out and use a loading stand to get your chambers filled.

This may or may not apply to the 36 cal., but I have a 5.5 inch barrel Remington 1858 in 44 cal and I load it using the loading ram on the pistol and to me it doesn't seem difficult to get the ball seated. I also have 2 other Remington 1858 44's with 8 inch barrels and it seems to take the same amount of effort on the loading ram to load the short barrel as it does to load the longer barreled Rems.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, and its just my personal experience, but maybe it'll help you.

Back