Armson OEG sight

OK Computer

Hi... I'm trying to choose a very rugged, yet simple optical sight that will allow easy shooting in CQB low light conditions. I've come to consider the Armson OEG, mainly because it is inexpensive & looks like a pretty solid sight. However, I have heard some things like "wandering dot" what exactly does this mean??? I know you need good binocular vision for it to work, and i have perfect 20/20. Would this sight be a good choice? Most shots will be well under 100yrds, as anything over that will be left to the iron sights.

-OK Computer

I'm far from an expert in the OEG field. I have had nothing but bad luck. I used several in the Marines for CQB and we ended up breaking almost every one we tried. Although Marines are not easy on gear, we were far from abuseing these OEG's.
Unfortunaly we never found a good sight while I was in. I would wait to hear from someone who has had more experience with other types of sights. Maybe a laser type sight or some type of low power ACOG or an Aimpoint.
Maybe the technology has gotten better in the last few years but I would hate to see you waste money on a sight that might fail you after some rough shooting. It is very easy to bang a weapon around during low light CQB.
Good luck.

------------------
"Some people spend an entire liftime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Semper Fi

[This message has been edited by DannyO (edited March 30, 2000).]

I bought one a couple of years ago and never could get the thing to work right.

The wandering dot comes when you fail to concentrate on your target and instead focus on the aiming dot. It starts dancing all over the place and doesn't stop until you tear your eyes away, blink, and stare at the
target again.

In theory it works best when you are taking snap shots. Once you try for precise placement, the dot starts wandering and it all falls apart.

OK Computer

bruels described the wandering dot perfectly.

I still have an OEG on my shotgun. It works well there for low-light CQB applications.

I tried it originally on an AR. It just didn't work. You can't really ever get it zeroed because of the wandering dot.
With a lot of trial and error, I could get it to hit within a hands width at 50 yards or so. Not precise enough for an AR, but OK for a shotgun and 00.

Some things to consider:

-It only works for people who have two good eyes. My brother has a occlusion/scar on his right cornea, and he cannot use the sight.

-It only works for SNAP shooting. By slowing down and trying to be more precise you actually degrade accuracy.

-It's used in manner that is contrary to iron sights. You MUST be looking at the target and NOT the sights.

+If you "point shoot", by looking over the top of the gun, it is extremely fast.

Frankly, I would not buy one now, though it made sense at the time (mid 80's).
With a little practice, you can use a regular see through dot sight in the same manner/speed as the OEG. And you still have the precision (relatively speaking) option of a see through.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

[This message has been edited by sharpsrifle (edited March 31, 2000).]

Back