Armasight 'Predator' Thermal Sight 1st Field Tests

I recently joined the pro staff of a local thermal and night vision company here in Texas called Third Coast Thermal. I have the fortunate job of getting to field test some of their gear. My first project is with an entry-level thermal weapon sight from Armasight called the Predator.

Here is the initial field tests video showing various critters at various distances and in various conditions (hot and mildly humid for a Texas August)...

https://youtu.be/zKO4DBAPQcw

Hopefully, I can get some video of it in action on hogs or predators, but they have been scarce of late where I am.

"Entry level" is a bit of a misnomer. At about $3k in price, this is an inexpensive scope by today's standards for thermal scopes, but 4 years ago, the technology would have been higher end and the scope would have cost 2-3 times as much money. The salient point here is that folks were hunting with scopes like this 4 years ago quite successfully.

So how far is the scope good for? This is a question always asked and is a bit complicated. Most night hunting (shooting) for most hunters takes place at 100 yards or less and very, very little takes place at over 200 yards. For hogs in an open field on a decent night, just over >200 yards would appear to be about the limit of useful shootability, I would estimate. Coons and bobcats would likely be around 100 yards and coyotes closer to 150.

Spotting of animals is possible, depending on animal size and environmental conditions, out to several hundred yards. Identifying well enough to shoot them is going to be within the distances I noted above.

So what does $3k get you? It get you a 1.6x, 336x256 resolution, 25mm objective thermal sight that has better visual capabilities than optical scopes like the FLIR PS32 or L3/Eotech X320 for about the same money. Note that MSRP on the scope is a bit more, but various vendors have it offered at just below $3000.

So why are scopes like this priced so low? In the last couple of years, competition has increased as demand has increased and one of the primary vendors of thermal cores (the sensor that 'sees' heat), FLIR, dropped the price of the cores just after they offered their RS line of thermal rifle scopes. In 2015, there have been some MSRP price drops from a couple of vendors on their higher end units and Pulsar became the first company to offer a sub $3K priced weapon sight, the Apex, apparently recognizing a part of the market that the other companies had ignored. Now Armasight is addressing that part of the market as well.

The bottom line here is that now folks have a couple of options for relatively inexpensive thermal weapon sights. These are not cutting edge or high end scopes and they are not priced like cutting edge high end scopes, but for most folks basic night hunting needs, scopes like the Armasight Predator WILL hunt.

DNS,

Good review and video. I've always enjoyed your posts.

I've noticed that you have a choice of "white hot" or "black hot" settings to light up your target. What is the advantage of using a "white" or "black" hot setting on your scope?

best wishes- oldandslow

Advantages of white vs. black hot? Good question. Actually, Armasight and some other brands of scopes have multiple "palettes" they are called, including some crazy color schemes that are supposed to be helpful, but I usually find pretty annoying, of which white hot and black hot are the two most commonly used options.

It really comes down to preference, but generally speaking, when I am scanning, I use white hot in my scope to search for targets. For some reason, targets seem to 'pop' out more in which hot. With that said, I prefer to shoot at black hot targets. For me, a black hog looks more realistic than a ghostly white hog, but again, this is all about personal preferences. It is nice to have a choice that suits the user, but color choice doesn't change the unit's sensitivity to heat in any way, just how it displays the results, so in the end, the user gets to decide what works best for them.

I finally got on some hogs. This short vid shows some real world application capability of this scope and some real world issues with thermal in genera. On the first hog, I had trouble seeing the target clearly. What I didn't notice in the setup before the shot (and trying to be sneaky not get spotted by the hog) was that my field of view was through a bunch of blue stem grass and other vegetation that was still hot from the day's sun (and the sun was still up!). So the view got distorted (sort of like looking through a dirty set of windows). However, the hog turned and I could make out the appropriate landmarks for shot placement.

On the second hog, it was smaller and more distant, with the shot taken in the middle of the night, and with no obstructions between the hog and the scope and the image was much better and placement what much easier.

https://youtu.be/i2ucCWwFM5s

Obviously, day or night optics, if you try to see and shoot through vegetation, it can negatively impact your capability.

Cool video. I'm surprised it's not mounted on a 700. It's just funny seeing a couple thousand dollar optic mounted on a budget (yet accurate) rifle.

I need to buy one of these to mount on a Mosin-Nagant. :D

Cool video. I'm surprised it's not mounted on a 700. It's just funny seeing a couple thousand dollar optic mounted on a budget (yet accurate) rifle.

I have never understood the logic of "gun expense" relative to accessories or ammo. All that matters is that it works well, right? Nothing wrong with a really good budget rifle. In fact, one of the supposed reasons the 788 line was cancelled was because it was taking sales from the more expensive 700s.

But hey, it is a budget thermal on a budget rifle and they both get the job done. Getting the job done really is the bottom line, right?

Last edited:
Getting the job done really is the bottom line, right?

Absolutely. I'd wager that most M4s in use with USSOCOM have more expensive optics and accessories than the rifle itself.

I don't use lasers, but if you want a good laser for a Glock, it's close to the price of the gun. :D

I enjoyed the videos, would consider a night vision scope for calling and shooting coyotes.
However the last I checked they are illegal to use in Missouri.

DNS - You better cut that out about the 788's lol. Especially since I'm looking for either NV or Thermal for my .308 788 lol. Being serious though, how are they standing up to recoil? Any magnum calibers tested?

.308 is the limit for the Predator scope and most thermal scopes currently being produced. IR Defenses IR Hunter MK II and III series will handle .50 BMG, I understand, as will the Armasight Zeus Pro line.

Don't expect any of the budget scopes to handle magnum recoil.

Thats kinda what I was expecting. Just making sure. I can't watch the videos at work but I'm assuming that ya'll also test on semi's? Since they generate their own vibrations that would defer from a bolt gun.

Back