Arizona Shooters - New legislation for our cause!

LongDuck

House Bill 2225, submitted 1-25-00, seeks to make firearms training mandatory in high-schools as part of the curriculum. Please write your congressmen and district representatives to support this cause and help make the 2nd Amendment recognizable to those who will 'carry-the-torch'.

Goto: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/maps/distri16.htm to get your district reps and then make your opinion known. Thanks!

The bill reads:

House of Representatives
HB 2225
schools; firearms training programs

Sponsors: Representatives Brimhall: Anderson, Gray

X Committee on Government Reform

Caucus and COW

As Passed the House

HB 2225 stipulates that all schools shall provide training in the safe handling and use of bows or firearms and safe hunting practices.

History
Laws 1981, Chapter 1, added statute (A.R.S. § 15-713) allowing the State Board of Education, in conjunction with the Arizona Game and Fish Department to provide firearms safety training to schools in the state that requested the training. Laws 1996, Chapter 284 shifted the main responsibility for providing this training from the Board to the Department. HB 2225 would again shift the responsibility from the Department to the schools, and change the training from being voluntary to a requirement.

Provisions
· Requires all schools to provide training in the safe handling and use of bows or firearms and safe hunting practices, prescribe courses of study, and approve instruction materials.

· Mandates that schools provide instruction on the rights prescribed in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution as part of the firearms training.

· Provides that schools may model their courses of study on similar training programs offered by private organizations and may cooperate with the Arizona Game and Fish Department, other agencies and private organizations.

· Eliminates the provision in A.R.S. § 15-714 that states firearms training courses held for students in common and high schools shall be elective only, and attendance in such classes cannot be considered in a school district’s student count.

I can forsee some problems in the practical application of this kind of legislation, but I think it's a great idea, and something the country, as a whole, needs. As for it being voluntary, it's not the folks that are truly interested in firearms that are having AD's and shooting themselves or their friends, it's the people who have no training, as usually little to no prior interest, who pick up a "found gun" and get stupid with it. It would also give the students a more balanced view of firearms and their safe application than the current liberal agenda being pushed at the majority of public schools. Heck, I'd volunteer to help out for free if the schools in my area would adopt such a policy.
-John

Back