Arisaka questions

bkricks

My grandson got an aria aka ( looks like type 38) two vent holes. It has this incomplete bolt assembly, can anyone tell me anything about it to get parts. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6444.jpeg
    IMG_6444.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6446.jpeg
    IMG_6446.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 132
That is a training rifle, not intended to be fired with live ammo.

Agreed. I don't see any locking lugs on the bolt body. DO NOT put live ammo in the gun. It shouldn't fit, or fire, but if it does, it will be a disaster and dangerous to the shooter.

The Type 38 and Type 99 Arisakas use a Mauser pattern bolt, with large dual locking lugs on the bolt head. I don't see anything like that in your pictures.

I wouldn't risk it.

I agree with the others. This is what an Arisaka bolt looks like.

K8zPDLEl.png

Japanese Army and Navy training rifles were smooth bore with cast iron receivers meant for minimal power wooden bullet training cartridges. They were made in 6.5 and 7.7, and WILL chamber service cartridges.
The results of firing a service cartridge are catastrophic for rifle and shooter....

For something to ponder, remember that there were Training rifles, /drill rifles / parade rifles / and service rifles in numerous types and forms used by many nations through WWII, and some nations still do.

Also, in the case of the Japanese, there are "last ditch" rifles (rifles identified as "last ditch" due to their generally inferior construction compared to service rifles.) This is a term made up by gun dealers, and may not be accurate.

The Japanese planned to use everything they had in their "last ditch" defense, and that included weapons built cheaply and poorly for the defense, service weapons and drill/training weapons, if they could shoot (once, anyway) and would take a bayonet. I've also heard they were producing large numbers of bamboo spears, and that there was one arsenal that kept producing type 38s (6.5mm) service rifles until the last days of the war.

Arisakas can be lots of different things, from a historical use perspective. I'm not an expert in the field, but I do know a few things, one of which applies to all wartime guns, buy the gun, not the story, without documentation.

Good luck with yours, its a wall hanger, not a safe functional firearm.

Back