Arisaka Identification help

GunGuy1999

Inactive
Hello everybody, recently I purchased what appears to be a Type 99 Arisaka from a local gun dealer, but I’m trying to find out who the manufacturer was and any other information I can get on it. I’m definitely no expert on Arisaka rifles by any means, which is why I came here. :) Also I tried attaching photos, but I’m not sure I’m able to from my phone. :(

Last edited:
A couple ways to attach pics. Below the reply box click "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments" then browse and select the files to attach.

Other way, that I like to embed into the post, is to create a free imgur account, upload pics to imgur, "edit" them to change size to about 640x820 or so, then click "get links" copy the "Forum" link, paste into your reply, then click "Preview Post" before submitting to ensure the pic shows up.

The first way you can only attach 3 pics in a single post.
The second way you can do 5 at a time within the post.

I can take more pics too. These are the only markings on the rifle.

Attachments

• ari 2.jpeg
    ari 2.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 42
  • ari.jpeg
    ari.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 40
  • ari 3.jpg
    ari 3.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 41
That's right where the serial number should be. Looks like your Arisaka was "sanitized" by removing the model number on top of the receiver and the serial number and armory markings on the left side of the receiver, then reblued. Looks like parts of your stock have been roughly refinished as well.

Last edited:
Found it. Google Type 99 Long Rifle Trainer

Evidently not terribly rare. Single vent hole, no markings. May be smoothbore.

574212d1380206976-type-99-long-training-rifle-img_6751.jpg

Here's a pic of the bore. It looks rifled to me, does that mean it can't be a trainer? I don't want to shoot it if it is a trainer.

Attachments

• aribore.jpg
    aribore.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 17
Have a good gunsmith check it over. If it's a trainer it could be rifled--or not.
Lack of a mum, serial number or any other markings points to trainer. The
stock, triggerguard, bolt release and single vent hole point toward trainer.

I've had a dozen or so Arisaka's over the years--but am by no means an expert.
It could be something completely different---but it sure looks like a trainer.

I'm going to go onto a limb here and suggest it might be an Arisaka that was reworked in china after the war and might have come home with a Korean vet. The front sight and bolt end look to be late war issue. The stock appears to be a reworked type 38 stock or a last ditch?
If there are no markings other than serial number 2 the one stamp in the wood, you might be holding a rifle rebuilt from multiple Arisakas after the war. Maybe re-chambered to 8mm Mauser, or not.

Interesting stuff.

Maybe take it here to get identification help as well:
https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun

Last edited:
This rifle is a type 38 Arisaka. There is the l shape slot in the bridge, the bolt release boss,and the bow release for the floorplate which is not hinged. I have a couple of '38;s and '99's Two gas holes in front of the mum on the 38; one on the 99.

Back