Arisaka 99 type

Singlesix1954

Hi folks. I came across a Nagoya series 1 with aircraft sights,monopod,dustcover,sling and bayonet. It ended up in my vault. The "MUM" is ground off. No import marks. I don't have MFG date and would like to. SN is "79712". Any info or links would be great. Thanks. PS the bayonet sn doesn't match but all others do.

i have one in the 64xxx serial number range with the aircraft rear sight and monopod, the mum is also ground and it,s minus the dustcover with a non matching bayonet. i would also like to know about what year they were made. eastbank.

Type 99 rifles are difficult to date exactly. A guy named Don Voigt wrote a book that gives an approximation. I don't have it handy, but I would say your series 1 rifle would date to mid to late 1940.

Tidewater Kid can you pass on the name of that book. I'm one of those guys that likes to have a reference book for each C&R I keep. Thanks

"The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle- 2010 Ed."- By Don Voigt

The book is currently out of print, but I heard from the author that it should be back out by the end of the year.

TK

Last edited:
If anyone is in the Phoenix area, Cabellas has 3 type 99 Arisakas on the rack outside the gun library, one is marked as a Type 38, but it is 99. 1 has a mum, 1 has anti aircraft wings.

nope sorry... interesting that they would mark it wrong like that... someone will be in a world of hurt if they try to shoot too much 6.5 out of a 7.7.

I never cared about bayonets, usually sold them when I got a rifle with one on. I kept one that was on a US 30-06 conversion I bought and it looked like it had the original serial number that was stamped before the conversion. I never took notice, but I think the early 99's were issued with serialized bayonets.

Back