Argentine 1911s

hemlock0013

Does anyone have experience with the Colt 1911s made for Argentinia or the Argentinian copy, the Sistema Modelo 1927? They are being sold via http://www.cruffler.com right now ($450 for the Colt, about $300 for the Sistema), and, since I just got my C&R license, I'm a bit tempted. Are they good shooters? Well-made? Reliable? Worth the dough? Any thoughts are appreciated.
----hemlock0013

While condition can vary, these guns are true Colts, built on Colt machinery, under license, to Colt quality standards that were in effects in 1930-1950 -- GREAT.

A lot of guys on the Curio & Relics list have adopted them, and love them. Made of good quality steel, they are in every respect interchangeable with other Colt 1911s. Cruffler.com has a good reputation for selling quality products, too.

I´ve one of them (Sistema 1927) since twelve years ago. All the pistol´s numbers matched (frame, barrel and magazine). I only lightened the trigger, changed the sights and use new magazines. The barrel was and continue Ok.

+ 5000 rounds right now, very good shooter, accurate (2,5" to 3" at 25 yards with factory ammo / 230 grains FMJ -my friends do not believe me, so I could win several bets) and reliable.

Good Luck - alp-257

One of the shops here in our area has a couple of these for around $325 I think. My brother and I are going up there this weekend to look for some older 1911s, preferable WWII issue models. She always has some of these in stock it seems.

The pistols seem a little heavier than Colt's (or the clones) so the steel used might be somewhat denser. I have one NIB in my collection that I must shoot someday.

The Colt made guns are better from a collector viewpoint, but many have been refinished. The "Sistema" guns, made in Argentina, are just as good from a practical viewpoint, and some are collector's items in their own right. Do not confuse either with the Argentine Ballester-Molina (HAFDASA), which is IMHO not as good and whose parts do not interchange with the Colt's.

Jim

$300 for a Ballester would force me to a $325 Charles Daly or even the Firestorm. The Ballester Molina is heavy, does not interchange with 1911, and pretty crude.

My 1927 has wilson trigger,skeletonized hammer extended beavertail and safety I really enjoy this gun. I'm also going to get a 460 rowland setup for playing with. lots of options out there. I'm also thinking of a stainless slide for it.

Is it true some were made from the steel of a sunken ship? Heard this one a while back.

No.

This has been researched pretty extensively. Supposedly they were made from the hull of the Graf Spee. Not so. It was sunk AFTER many of the guns were made, and the metal would have to be melted down losing any of its "battleship" characteristics. One researcher found that the metal used to make the guns was imported from Great Britain.

Just another of those gun-related urban myths.

Argentine Ballester-Molina

I have one I purchased for $200 and I have been very happy with it.

As for the differences I LIKE the grip safty removed!

That is one feature of the Colt 1911 I have never liked.

Considering how EXPENSIVE basic colts have become the Argentine 1911 copies are excellent buys.

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-september99.html

JLD Enterprises

Sistema Colt Modelo 1927, Caliber .45 ACP
Grade 1: $299.00 plus $10.00 shipping

Ballester Molina
Grade 1: $239.00 plus $10.00 shipping :)

Back