Argentina Remington Rolling Block 43 cal.

HandloaderJohn

I know of a gun for sale, the guy doesn't know what it is worth and I have first bid, does anyone know a fair price for a 3 band Argentine Remington rolling block, it is in fair shape, bore not so good but action is tight and stock and sights are in great shape. I was thinking of re-barreling it to 45-70 for a black powder shooter, and give it new life.
Any feedback will be appreciated

[Edited by HandloaderJohn on 04-16-2001 at 06:29 AM]

John,

According to my 9th Edition Standard Catalog of Firearms, your #-Band Military Rifle would be worth $500.00 for one in Good Condition, $250.00 for one in Fair Condition and $100.00 for a Poor specimen. It also states that Carbines are worth a 40% premium.

According to the catalog, Remington made over 1,000,000 Military Rolling Blocks in various calibers between 1867 and 1902.

Good luck. It sounds like a fun project, but you might consider using another blackpowder cartridge that does not have +P and Magnum loads available commercially. Sticking a Garrett or Buffalo Bore .45-70 in the chamber could ruin you whole day. How do you feel about .40-65 or maybe .44-77 Sharps?

Doc Hudson

Doc, thanks for the info, I understand what you are saying about the hotter loads, ouch, cheap face-lift time.
Now if I can just convince him it is in poor shape and get it for 100 bucks!

Update

Well, I have the Remington sitting here, I cleaned the bore out and much to my surprise it is in near perfect shape, very bright and only a few small rust spots, the action is very tight, crisp trigger, great sights, woo whoo!, now I have to scrounge up some 43 Spanish ammo. dies, molds, ect.

Back