AREX Delta Gen 1 Night Sights Install

ThePontificator

I want to replace the factory sights on an AREX (Rex Arms) Delta Defense Gen 1 and have two questions:

1. From which direction do you drive out the factory sights?

2. If you have done a sight install on one of these pistols could you please share your experience in peening the front sight? For those unfamiliar these Gen 1 guns have something of a proprietary sized dovetails and AREX says they accept Springfield Armory XD(M) sized sights. However, installing an XD(M) front sight requires that the sight be peened (dimpled) underneath as the fit is somewhat loose.

I can't tell you the direction of the sight drift, however, there is the possibility that a pair of decent calipers can give you an idea if you have some exposed dovetail to either side of the sights. But I have a hunch, they may drift out from right to left. I may be corrected on that later.

I have dimpled before, and that is pretty straight forward. in the expose dovetail groove, simply strike 2 places with a somewhat bluntish center punch. This will create craters, or puckers, around the holes. They may not seem very substantial, but they do provide good anchorage for the sight(s).

You may be correct about the factory sights needing to be drifted out from R to L as on the exposed L hand side of the dovetails there seems to be some slight tool marks that suggest they were installed from the left.

As for dimpling I think I'd feel better about doing it to the bottom of the sight than marking up the slide's dovetail. I'd place a dimple on each end of the "wing".

BTW when AREX came out with the Gen 2 Deltas they switched dovetail size from "proprietary" to "Sig Sauer compatible".

Whether the sights are "8/8" or "8/6" I couldn't tell you.

BTW when AREX came out with the Gen 2 Deltas they switched dovetail size from "proprietary" to "Sig Sauer compatible".

Whether the sights are "8/8" or "8/6" I couldn't tell you.

I’ve used Dawson sights on the Arex Delta Gen 2 that were meant for SIGs. It took a moderate amount of filing to fit the front.

Back