Are you and your shotgun ready for deer?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Last weekend my range of choice had a Hunter Sight In program, where non members pay a few bucks and get sighted in with their weapon of choice. This year, the program started weeks earlier than usual,to help the folks participating in the early muzzleloader serason here in Md. While a member, I paid the money anyways(worthy cause), and checked the zero on my ML, 30-30 Model 94, and the "Deer" 870.I needed to recheck the zero,since I had run out of my old slugs and had purchased new ones.

As I waited for my turn, I shot the bull with the range officer, and commented on the light turnout. I've helped in years past, and have seen hundreds of hunters waiting in line. The RO mentioned that everyone seems to wait until the last minute,and the big slowup was the kind of fool that bought a shotgun, ML or rifle and had never shot it beofre showing up and expecting the harried ahd hassled range people to work magic with their instrument of choice.

Speak of the devil, up popped a fellow with a new inline still in the blisterpack. He said he'd bought a new ML because he "missed a good'un" last season and wanted to be sure he would get a deer this year. He had just left the store. On further questioning,he admitted that shot last year had been in excess of 100 yards, taken offhand, at a moving deer. The RO and I exchanged glances, and referred him to a most patient helper who mounted the scope, got it boresighted, and then sat down with the idiot and tried to get him zeroed. He was, of course, using all the Pyrodex pellets he could stuff into the thing.

'Bout the 3rd round, we heard a mild pop instead of the roar of the beast and saw something lob from the muzzle of this ML, and strike the ground halfway to the 25 yard target. Our Hero had forgotten to load the pellets.

Bt this time, I was nestled down at the bench, with a good cheek weld, and half a breath in my lungs as I slowly increased pressure on a clean,light trigger. The ML load worked perfectly, and a 50 cal hole appeared in the target, about where I wanted it. A repeat shot duplicated the hit, and my range work with the ML was done for the nonce.The 870 was next, zero was perfect and a few 3 shot groups showed the slugs were grouping well.

Back to shotguns.While the early sight in was meant for MLs, if someone showed up with another type weapon, they were allowed to sight it in. Quite a few had shotguns, and few of those were performing up to snuff, or maybe the shooters weren't.

A guy two benches down was having a major flinch. His scoped 500 was kicking the heck out of him, and he was jerking the trigger.

Another guy had an 870 with what looked like a Holo dot scope(?), and he was not making the ROs day. Keeping them on one 50 yard target proved difficult. Bet he had play between the receiver and bbl, the most common cause of inaccuracy in the hardware.

One range helper I knew from decades ago muttered to me he hadn't seen such a bunch of no shooting folks since basic training. I agreed, and while I wanted to stick around and shoot the bull with folks I knew, I decided to head home.

And now the crux of the matter....

First, I admit that this was the first time I had shot this 870 since last season. However, before anyone gets indignant, I've shot my bird 870 bimonthly,and did an informal slug and buck match with the HD 870, so my 870 chops are up to par.

But, how many of us leave the weapon alone after deer season, and do little to correct any mechanical problems or practice?

I help a friend that's a guide out during the season,and it amazes me that folks that will travel to another state to hunt, spend thousands of dollars on the trip,and will bit*h about spending a few hours and dollars at the range making sure they can HIT something.

SO,are you and your shotgun ready for the season? If not, what can be done to remedy this?

Are you zeroed with your ammo of choice? Do you have sufficient ammo? Are there any problems you noted last season and forgot about until now? Have you gotten any practice in?

Questions, comments, donations?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave McC:
But, how many of us leave the weapon alone after deer season, and do little to correct any mechanical problems or practice?
[/quote]

Too many do exactly that. Too many also feel that a few rounds from the bench to check their sights is enough. Shoot your gun from the shoulder, from a makeshift rest, whatever you can to simulate field conditions.

Once bird season approaches I put away my over/under target guns and reacquaint myself with my hunting gun. It's a sxs, double trigger, auto safety. I leave the shooting vest at home and dress exactly as I would for hunting. When shooting skeet, I shoot low gun and ask the puller to delay the pull and to release the birds at random -- high house, low house, doubles, report pair, following pair. It's easy to get lulled into a sense of confidence shooting the clay games and bobble your shots while hunting.

I mounted a scope (1x4) on my 870 earlier this year, and have spent the past few range sessions choosing ammo and sighting it in. Tried Federal (about 30 rounds), but it seems to like Remington better. It took me a while to sight it in, as I do tend to get a major flinch when shooting slugs off a bench. It's not a problem sitting on the ground, standing, or kneeling, but off the bench just hurts.

Today was good though. I put about 25 slugs through it, and it is well zeroed. I do need to practice off-hand some more, but I'll do everything I can to avoid an off-hand shot if possible (e.g., kneel leaning against a tree). Shotgun season starts the last week of Nov., so I've got time.

I haven't started working up my muzzleloader, but that season doesn't start till 2nd or 3rd week of December.

M1911

Nice post, Rob. It's a great feeling when stuff like that happens. And when you know your weapon, take your time and have good shooting habits, it does happen more than happenstance allows.

Federal slugs are good, I've used a few on deer with good effect. The Winchesters and now the Brennekes group tighter in my shotguns.

1911, slug shooting from the bench requires a little more prep. Heavy up your gun, since it's a static situation at the bench, this is a good time to stick a lb of shot under the pad, add that sidesaddle and fill it, or a mag extension. In the field you'll never note the kick during a shot at live game.

And add some padding.I use the PAST wearable pad(nicknamed the Wonderbra) sometimes, tho not this last time.Good form's essential, I pull the weapon back into the shoulder cup, get that cheek weld and take my time. Once zeroed, practice from other positions. Some time ago, we used to practice by rolling a tire downhill with a cardboard center in it and take shots as it went. Loser bought the beer afterwards.

Kicking a can along is a good one.Try a couple guys shooting at once and make it a race, the first can across a finish line
wins.

And do some dry practice, handle and mount an EMPTY shotgun at home, preferably while wearing your hunting clothes. Your family may look at you funny, but they do that anyway, right(G)?...

Dave: This time the recoil wasn't as painful. Even though it was a hot day, I put on a thick sweatshirt and a PAST pad. After getting it zeroed, I practiced off-hand, kneeling, and kneeling while leaning up against a support. I didn't have any problems with recoil when shooting from the other positions.

Hadn't thought about dry practice with my hunting clothes. But that's not a bad idea. And my wife has long since realized that I am complete gun nut, so such behavior no longer strikes her as odd. Or maybe she just no longer says anything about it :D

M1911

I wish more folks would practice with their hunting clothes. Folks tend to try out shotguns in warmer weather, in shirtsleeves, and then when they're bundled in 6 layers of wool, polypro and down in the duck blind then wonder why they have a problem getting the shotgun mounted.

If I was a real fanatic about stock fit (instead of just anal about it), and had a specialty waterfowl gun vs my generalized, anything flying, shotgun, the stock would be maybe a half inch shorter than my dove gun.

I picked up a used plain barrel for my shotgun that was cut down to around 20". Theory being that it didn't need sights if I was going to mount an Aimpoint or scope on the gun. Well, barrel shot like crap with 3 different loads. Fortunately, I started soon enough and still have time, seeing as how it's still a month away from opening day. The field barrel that I used this summer is going back on to see how it shoots (I used the gun shooting trap a few times over the summer to stay aquainted with it). I'm meeting a few buddies this week at the range and we'll go over the gun and see how it does.

I can't imagine waiting until the 14th to get all this together.

Ron, there's some old threads about setting up for slugs,a little research will give you plenty of input.

Every year I get asked to "Take a look" at someone's shotgun because it won't group. While oft it's the pilot,the next thing to check is for play between the receiver and bbl. If you can move the bbl while holding the receiver, there it is.

Back