• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Are things slow and/or is "handgun" down?

The Handguns & Pistolcraft Forum is currently down. Staff is working on the problem, even as I type. We've also noticed the slowdown in the other forums.

We will try to get everything back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. :)

Yes, Handguns is down which is probably causing the slow down also. The staff is working on it as we type.

Thank God this thread was started. I was starting to have my worst fears. I thought the Handguns and Pistolcraft Forum was *gulp* gone!

I've got a hypothesis on what's happening.

The software that TFL runs on is a resource hog. It's particularly sucky in the Search Engine department.

Instead of having a true Search engine, the UBB creates a giant "index file" filled with a mash of every word typed on the UBB (minus words like the, a, and, etc). Every time you make a post, the contents get added to the search index file.

Second, there's an integral file that maintains a list of all threads made in the forum. Naturally, that file can get pretty hefty as well.

Now, when you've got a giant forum the size of Handguns, getting a ton of traffic, you get a significant drain on the server. Rich has a pretty powerful box running this site, a lot newer than ours, which is why they've been able to keep Handguns and the like open for so long without problems.

But, I'm going to make a Scientific Wild Ass Guess and say that somehow, something happened when someone made a post or two at the same time, that bogged down the search index file, whether with simultaneous access, or file locking, or something - causing the threads index file to become corrupted. When the file size gets too large, it takes longer for the processor to complete it's task, and if it gets interrupted for whatever reason - kB!

Once it became corrupted, it's screwed, because the UBB doesn't automatically rebuild the threads file from scratch, as that would be a huge waste of resources.

My suggestions?

Suggestion 1 - Shut down the forums for this weekend. Mass move most of the threads out of Handguns, Legal, and General to new, alternate forums and make them read only archives. Reindex and rebuild thread counts. Turn the forums back on.

The site may be down for about 12 hours, but everything should be fixed. The big forums will be less likely to suffer this problem in the near future.

Suggestion 2 - Turn off the search feature, and rebuild the thread files. Temporary fix - but it should work.

I'm still investigating UBB alternatives to get away from the drains this software puts out.

Thus far, the alternatives I've seen aren't going to cut it. They are
vBulletin - http://www.vbulletin.com
wwwthreads - http://www.wwwthreads.com

Both run on SQL / mySQL backends, but neither has a solid following or immensely great track record IMHO.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Back