are these nipple wrenches any good?

One of them was listed as fitting #10 and #11 nipples, is that possible?

Certainly. The wrench size has nothing to do with the cap size the nipple needs. There's only a slight size difference between #11 and #10 caps and some brands fit tighter than others.

I was shooting muzzleloading trap once and I started getting occasional failures to fire, I had to recock the hammer and try again and then the gun would go off. It turned out I had opened a can of #10 caps instead of #11 caps and the first blow of the hammer seated the cap and the second blow ignited the cap. I got another tin of #11's and the problem disappeared.

Also, number 10 caps aren't necessarily universal for revolvers. I have an open top Colt that needs 11's. Ruger Old Army revolvers also need #11 caps and a special hex nipple wrench that comes with the revolver.

One of them was listed as fitting #10 and #11 nipples, is that possible?

Certainly. The wrench size has nothing to do with the cap size the nipple needs. There's only a slight size difference between #11 and #10 caps and some brands fit tighter than others.

I was shooting muzzleloading trap once and I started getting occasional failures to fire, I had to recock the hammer and try again and then the gun would go off. It turned out I had opened a can of #10 caps instead of #11 caps and the first blow of the hammer seated the cap and the second blow ignited the cap. I got another tin of #11's and the problem disappeared.

Also, number 10 caps aren't necessarily universal for revolvers. I have an open top Colt that needs 11's. Ruger Old Army revolvers also need #11 caps and a special hex nipple wrench that comes with the revolver.

I like the ratcheting wrench the best. After applying a release agent like Liquid wrench/Kroil etc. I lightly tap on the top with a small hammer as I reef on it to remove stuck nipples. Put the cylinder into a padded vise when you do. Haven't stripped my wrench YET (but it just might be a matter of time).

I put never seize on them and I remove it after 50 round. That at one time was every day for 4 years Monday throw Friday from April to last of September and some time October. Me and my shooting buddy was disable about the same time. We cast are bullets on Saturday. He had three guns and I had 6 witch one shot smokeless powder witch made it good cleaned it once every 30 day. I had then so I only cleaned one every day black powder. We used Pyrodex pistol powder.

well-- i think with new piettas and uberties, the nipples are sometimes too tight for standard wrenches--I found if you have a small wrench from an old 2nd or 3rd model colt set--it is stronger or have 3/4 slotted socket--but you have to make that.. If the nipples are placed in the cylinder not too tight but tight enough--any traditions or nipple wrench is fine--but they are soft steel. They will not take out some of the manufactures' nipples of new guns--I've cursed,cried and everything until I found out. I think you can get that colt wrench that is L shaped w/ fitted scew driver through cabellas--but not sure. I never had a problem breaking a nipple screw w/ one but I sure have w/ the others.

Back