Are the year 2000 Sig Sauer 226s made better than the earlier 226s?

magnum_force

Do the year 2000 sig 226 blue finish wear off as easy as the earlier year sig 226?

Did sig correct the crack frame problem in the new sig 226s?

Are the year 2000 sig 226s made better than the earlier ones?

1. Yes - The blackened stainless steel finish on my new gun is MUCH better than the blueing on the older one.

2. Havn't had nor heard of any problems regarding cracked frames in 10+ years of shootinf Sigs.

3. The internals appear to be better machined than the older guns. Though the rough interior finish has never detracted from the reliability or accuracy of the piece.

I do think that the newer guns are better overall pistols than the old ones, as my minor annoyances have been corrected. There was never anything major to gripe about. :)

Some of the earlier ('80s) P226 had a slightly thinner frame. It failed the AX-crush test where an ax was dropped onto the triggerguard to see whether it would crush the guard (and thereby disable the trigger). Afterwards, Sig widened the frame slightly and the modification allowed the gun to pass. This is why some of the earlier aftermarket grips won't fit the later guns. The aftermarket folks weren't aware of the dimensional changes and continued to make grips for the narrower frame.

I've only seen one Sig P226 with a cracked frame. The crack was along the rail and for the length of the rail. I suspect the owner was using subgun ammo but he wouldn't fess up. We were also waiting to hear from Sig their analysis of what happened.

Back