Are Sig's going downhill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERKY

I have been checking out the sigs lately in hopes of getting one in the near future. I really like the sig pro 2340. My question is this...

When i grab the magazine from the bottom it wiggles alot. Almost seems like its going to fall out. Im not sure if this is for a reason or just bad craftsmanship. I checked about 10 of them at the gun show here in maryland this morning and they all do it. Also, The slide does not go all the way into battery unless you use the slide lock to release it, then it slides all the way into battery. Im wondering if this is normal for new 2340's. Will the slide problem go away after break in? Does the loose magazine serve a purpose ? I love the entire line of sig's and everyone that i've spoke with that has one wouldnt trade it for anything.

P.S I got a whole new feel for the HK's today. Man those are nice !

------------------
TIM : )

In my opinion, The sigpro was Sig's worst mistake. Crappy trigger, marginal ergonomics. To be honest, that's all I know about them, as I've only handled them in the store. Seems like they rushed it to the market like so many products are today. But I do think the magazine thing is not and will not be a problem. A loaded magazine will probably not rattle loke you describe. And I think a little play in a service style sidearm is a good thing. Decreases the likelyhood of jamming in a dirty gun... You can see daylight through a Glock for christ's sake.

But I think you can probably take a couple things for granted regarding the 2340. It will be reliable and it will shoot straight. For me, it came down to a matter of ergonomics. I own a 229 and I wouldn't trade it for a new Mercedes.

Hmmmmm trade in a 229 for a Mercedes.

I'd do it in a heartbeat I have a couple of 229's anyways. ;)

[smart ass mode: off]

Ross T.

I had a SigPro .40. It was a sweeet gun. I was real happy with it. I thought the trigger was exactly comparable to my Sig 226. I was impressed that they could get that nice of a trigger in an entry model gun. It was very reliable, tough, had no rust problems that most Sigs do, and felt great in my hand. I miss it.

The HK USP, IMHO, is a top of the line service gun with no compromises. Go with the USP if you can, and if the size fits you.

JERKY:

I don't really know about the SIGPRO, as I've never even handled one. I'm not fond of polymer framed firearms...

My SIGs are all alloy framed. Have had no problems associated with quality, IMO. Yeah, the finish shows holster wear quite rapidly, but that's just the way they are. The ergonomics, superb trigger, sights, intrinsic accuracy and reliability make up for that.

Mike

Greetings, I would have to agree with Pilate
on this issue; as a matter of fact, I would
rather live next door to someone who owned a
SigPro than own one myself. These guns just
are not equal to other guns of the Sig-Sauer
line.

------------------
Ala Dan

Downhill in what way?

SIG is losing market share for sure, even w the excellent, proven alloy frame guns. The US Secret Service did stick w them (P229s in 357), but more LE contracts are going Glocks way by far. Is it just the price?

The sigpro was T&Ed to 20,000 rounds by SIG, and the DEA approved them for use too. The sigpro was one of the finalsits in the Illinois State Police contract (Glock got it).

However, I have seen plenty that were not reliable long after any reasonable break-in period, and have heard of several PDs w problems too. We are getting more and more SIGs traded in on Glocks and USPs all the time, and a lot of sigpros came back soon after sale to be traded too.

Will probably be fine, just give em some time to work out the bugs?

------------------
>>>>---->

Leaving aside the SIGPRO, if SIG quality has gone down, it has not been by much. I have two P220s from the early 1980's that do reveal more care in manufacture than either my current production P220 or the P229s and P239s I've seen. But I'm still favorably impressed with SIG quality and know of none better.

As for the SIGPRO, I haven't decided. The only one I handled had a poor trigger, especially for a SIG. But it was early production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back