Are Redfield scopes decent?

thaddeus

CDNN is having a closeout on Redfield scopes. They claim to have bought all that are left. They have some apparently great prices. Most prices are well blow half of retail.
I am eyeballing the "Widefield Illuminator" because it claims to have great clarity and brightness. It is 3-9x42. CDNN says that it retails at $674, and used to go at discount dealers for $492. CDNN's closeout price is only $269!
By all apearances it seems like a great deal and I want to jump on it. But, I don't know if Redfield is any good. Is it a pretty good scope? Good for the money anyway?

For more standard issue scopes, they have for example the Golden Five Star for $149, which used to retail at $264. They have many others as well.

Please let me know right away, I want to order one unless I hear that they are garbage or not work the money, even at less than half price.
thanks,
thaddeus

I acutally have one of those "Widefield Illuminator" scopes on a Remington .30-06.. I have been very happy with it.

I have 4 other Redfield scopes as well, two red dots, one 8-32x40mm and one 6-24x50mm. I have been impressed with all of them. I considered Redfields a bargain when they were in business, at the closeout prices, they are even more-so.

Of course, you'll get no warranty or factory back up.. but when I think about the number of times I needed such protection, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of these scopes.

FWIW, I concur with Rob. I've no idea why they went out of business, maybe marketing problems, but certainly not for bad product.

Well I made the plunge. I called CDNN and they have been sold out of the Illumintors for a while. I guess they are all going fast at those prices. I asked what he had in lower power variables, on the higher end of quality, and he had the Law Enforcement Tactical scope. It is 3-9X50 with A/O and target knobs. Sounds good to me. I had to act he only had a a few left of any of them, so I bought it. I think it will do me well. I might have gone the scout route, but the Rem700 I am buying is set up already for a regualr scope, so the scout idea will wait until I have the money.
Now I just need to know if that 50mm objective is going to fit on my medium height rings....?

Thanks for the advice,
thad

Oh yeah, it retaled at $463, went at discount places for $341, and I got it for $229! Can't beat that.

Sounds like you got a good deal, but the medium rings will likely not be tall enough.

On bull barrels, the 50mm objs require extra high mounts in most cases. You should need at least "high" mounts even for a regular barrel.

------------------
-Essayons

Looks like I will be buying those pivot mounts sooner than I thought.

Where do I get pivot mounts and how much should I expect to pay?

The guy on the phone told me that it should fit on my medium height rings with no problem. Even if I got a good deal, I resent when someone tells me a lie just to get a quick sale.

Also, where do I get one of those cheek pads? How much? I suppose if I am going to have that high of rings,that I should probably get a cheek pad for comfort and quicker line-up from high-ready...(?)

thaddeus

Dug this out of the May 1999 American Rifleman:

Redfield Warranty Repair (pre-Blount)

ABO USA, Inc.
615 S.W. 2nd Ave.
Miami, FL

ph: (305) 859-2010

Hope you'll never need use of this info.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back