Are Powerbelts any good?

Ruger # 1

After several of my friends have told me how wonderful Powerbelts are, I have finally decided to give them a try. I'm getting very good accuracy out of my Knight using 100 grs. 777 and a 295 gr Powerbelt HP ( the lead one).The Ohio ML season opens in a little over a week. What kind of performance can I expect out of these bullets on deer? Thanks.

First of all,accuracy will suffer if you don`t use enough powder to upset the bullet to fill the bore. 100 grains might do it with the lead bullet but not the jacketed ones. About 120 grains is the minimum in a magnum rifle. They shoot like heck,and I mean good.Knock a deer down right now with a well placed shot.Good luck.

good combo

My son using a 50 cal. 295 grain jacketed hollow point by Powerbelt , with 2 - 50 grain triple seven pellets , killed a nice ten pointer this gun season in souteast ohio . The shot was around 70 yards , nice lung shot . Buck ran about 45 yards and dropped . Good expansion on the bullet . This is the second deer in two years he has gotten with this combo . Works for us !! Goodluck this year .

powerbelts rock.

I have a 50 caliber encore 209 and have taken 2 bucks this season already here in upstate NY. I am using 100 gr of cleanshot with the 405 gr aero tips. (toped by weaver optics)
The first buck i got was a big 4 point and it hit dead nuts going clean through the deer. That was opening weekend. The shot was about 50 yards.

This morning I got a big spike at 165 yards and it dropped him in his tracks through and through wound! Range confirmed by laser rangefinder. I am in a shotgun only zone(or muzzleloader) I wont be taking the ol 870 out ever again. This combination is like a laser beam. I would never have got the second buck with a slug gun!!

I was curious to see if i needed more than 100 gr of powder but after these 2 bucks 100 seems to be fine!

I Use The 245 Gr Areo Tip W/ 100 Grns Of Ffg 777 And At 100 Yrds I Can Drive Tacs.i Have A Magnum Barrel But I See No Need For Any More Powder Than 100 Grns.100 Grns Of Ffg Has More Power Than 2 Pellets.my Buddy And I Went To The Range And Tested This Out.mine W/ffg Had More Of A Punch To It Than His Pellets.i Was Shooting A New Frontier .50 And His Was An Encore.mine Out Shot His.lol.100.00 Vs.500.00.i Really Dont Think There Is A Real Big Difference In The Barrels Today.

Close Range Problem???

My young cousing shot a small fawn last year with a ML rifle and Powerbelts he borrowed from me. The Powerbelt was a 245 grain HP pushed by 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets. Yep, a VERY hot load. The fawn was 5 yards or less away, he hit it rear of the near shoulder and exited through the far shoulder. The fawn ran away on 3 legs and dropped no blood for 100 yards. We finally found the blood and the deer went another 1/4 mile before expiring. The deer was so close when he shot, that the plastic cup from the bullet was embedded in the hide of the deer. I was amazed that the deer went that far on such a good hit. Must have been too tender of an animal to cause any bullet deformation.

It has me puzzled.....

JSF:)

Last edited:
I shoot 195 gr copper clad with 3-50gr pellets. Hot as a fire cracker but have shot one 8pt at 167 yds and one at 148 yds, both ran about 40-50 yds.
I have shot the same projectile with only 2 pellets and there is very little difference in the impact point at 100 yds, I just like that kick and all that dam smoke.:D

Back