Are PORTED handguns better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin6

If I were to consider buying a small revolver (5 shot .38) would it be worth it to spend a little more and get one with a ported barrel? Is percieved recoil that much different? Does it affect bullet velocity/performance? Is the flash blinding while shooting in low light? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I am kinda thinking of my very recoil sensitive wife. Thanks in advance, martin6

38 sp. revolvers do not have a level of
recoil which may be called uncomfortable.
I do not believe the porting .38 makes any
practical sense. Flash from the ported barrel may blind, particularly in the dark,
which may also complicate use of gun for self defence.

Do not waste your money. If your wife is
so sensative to recoil, buy her a good
.22 LR revolver, for example Ruger SP101.
It is relatively heavy for its small size
and has very small recoil even with Stingers.

Ported guns are something taurus seems to believe strongly in. Why? I dont know. Ive never seen the practicality in it. The flash factor is not gonna matter in the dark. any gun is going to be blinding in the dark. Some pro's train to close their eyes just before firing. I dont know if thats something i would reccommend. Of course im no pro.

For your question about effecting velocity i would say yes. Ported does help with recoil. but you lose some velocity. If i were you i would train her to deal with the recoil of a .38 Its not going to get much better than that. Maybe her choice of a weapon should consider autos. with autos you have a better variety. Are you Anti-auto? If not the kel-tec and glocks make great compacts. in variable calibers. tell us more about your prefrences and we can help ya more with the choice you are going to make.

: )

------------------
TIM : )

martin6,
I'm sorry but I don't have or know anyone who has a revolver except for the security guard over at the office.
But a friend of mine had his Glock 26 9mm ported and it seems to have tamed the little glock to a degree.
I have fired it and compared it with my non ported G26 and there is a difference in muzzle climb by about 10-15%.
The drawback is that smoke tends to jet out infront of you. But I think that this is due to the handloaded bullets.
As for decreased velocity I do not think that will be a problem. If this is for self defense then, through statistics, average firefights are well within 15 feet. That's too near to think about decreased velocity, especially with the right type of bullet.
I have never shot the G26 in low light conditions though.
Just a thought, Walther PPK/S or Bersa in .380 for your wife? If you are not yet fully decided on what type of firearm for your wife why don't you check out the other posts.
In a nutshell, IMHO (in my humble opinion), if you think your wife can fire better with a ported barrel then get one (or rent one first). Every little bit counts in helping her shoot well for the time you, your wife, myself, and any responsible person out there, hope will never happen.

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

One of the main disadvantages of using a ported handgun for self-defense is the unpleasantness that occurs when such a weapon is fired from a close-retention position. Defensive situations don't always lend themselves to the perfect stance, grip, etc. I'd stay away from the porting.

A friend of mine bought a Glock 30 (.45 cal. for you non-Glocksters) for his 110-lb., petite wife. She loves it and has absolutely no problems with the recoil. With the addition of a heavier recoil spring and Wolff guide rod set, the perceived recoil is further reduced.

I disagree somewhat with a few statements made. Porting makes a world of difference in small magnum or big bore guns, and can improve your accuracy if you are not so worried about the muzzle flip.

As far as the bright flash at night goes, this will also affect an adversary in close quarters, so you might be able to use it to some advantage. All snubbies have some flash, porting just directs it a different direction. I have a taurus model 85 mutil-alloy ti and a 44 special ti and enjoy shooting both of them.

Most flinching is a reaction to the muzzle blast and not the recoil. Recoil with most defensive guns and appropriate defensive loads is not severe. The blast from a ported gun IS severe and can be dangerous to the shooter and bystanders in defensive situations. The increased blast will usually make flinching worse even though recoil is reduced. The only benefit is reduced muzzle flip and the potential for quicker follow-up shots by experienced shooters.

IMHO the benefits don't outweigh the problems and I don't personally recommend ported guns for defense. It does make for a great competition gun!

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back