Are older Taurus guns that bad?!?!

mvdemarco

I've searched alot of older posts regarding Taurus revolvers and the general opinion seems to be that the new Taurus guns are "OK" and the older ones are just plain old junk! Anyone here own an older Taurus that can verify that?

I actually prefer the older Taurus revolvers to the new titanium models. I just do not like a real light revolver in the heavier .357 and .41 Magnum loads. I've had a Model 65 in .357 and Model 85CH .38 spl for a number of years now and never have had any problems with either of them.

I've had two taursu .44 mag revolvers. One had a solid sighting rib the second had a rib with slots cut in it like the Colt python.

I bought both used and they both had the 4 holes on each side of the front sight to let gas jet up to reduce recoil.

They both shot very well single action the only difference was in the double action. The first one (solid rib) had a strong difficulte DA pull. That's why I was surprised when I took the second one on trade and found it (slotted rib) had a very nice DA pull.

I suspect taurus revolvers are fine, all of them. I do think they have been improving a lot but then the price has been going up o them as well. They are defininately the king of Titanium as well.

shiro
I don't know if that helped much.

Yeah, all replies are helpful! I'm looking at an older one for a really good price and it's in "like new" condition. Just as a range gun. I also own Smith&Wesson revolvers and think they're great! It's just the asking price...have a hard time passing it up!

I got rid of a new Taurus Model 66 several years ago after its forcing cone eroded and split after several 1000 rounds of moderate .357s. I got rid of a new Taurus .380 semiauto several years ago as the followers in all factory magazines I had for it fell apart. Sometimes older is not better. Dennis

I think it depends on how far you go back. When Taurus first came out I would not take one if you gave it to me, and I handled many of them! However, now they are a very good value for the money and I like the fact that they are inovative (like a .45 colt Ti).
I love that idea!

:D

If it's not too old go for it. However, unlike older Smith's and Colts I don't think the older Taurus are a good value compared to the new ones.

Greeting's Folk's,

With all due respect mv; obviously you haven't
read my many, many post regarding the Taurus
model 82 in .38 Special. In my only experience
with Taurus product's, I found this model to be
a total P.O.S.; however it was suppose to rival
a Smith N' Wesson bull barrel model 10? Needless
to say, the T-82 makes a damn good boat anchor.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Personal experience!

I have owned eight Taurus revolvers in the last ten years. My experience has been 50-50. All have been NIB 38 spcl or 357/38 spcl. Four of the revolvers had relatively serious problems out of the box that required them to be sent back to the factory. In each case Taurus was as good as its warranty and fixed the problem. One revolver required sent back two times before the problem was remediated. The other four worked just fine with no problems. My most recent Taurus was the "Tracker" which is the 7 round 357 with a four inch barrel in stainless steel. It also functioned okay but I sold it. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to buy any more Taurus revolvers based on my personal experience.

Yes, any Taurus gun made before today is generally considered to be junk. This rule, of course, would apply tomorrow also.

I have a Model 85 stainless that I purchased new in 1995. I have put a couple of thousand reloads through it with no problems. The only fault I can find with it is that its action is not as smooth as those of my S&W J-Frames. However, the new Taurus fiveshooters I have handled have actions every bit as good as a Smith's.

Back