are muzzleloading firearms subject to the nfa?

gunslinger555

i dont plan on doing this just curious if i baught a black powder shotgun would it be leagal to saw off the stock and barrel under the legal limit?

Don't take this as gospel, but yes I think you can do whatever in the world you want with ML rifles like that, since they are not firearms, EXCEPT for:

-Savage 10MLs, because they are smokeless powder-capable, and
-Any rifle system that is interchangeable with metallic-cartridge rifle barrels, like T/C Contender & Encore, NEF Handi/ Huntsman, Rossis, CVA Optima Pro, etc.

Hmm, this brings up an interesting question - say I have a pre-1891 "non-firearm" like an early Mosin or Commission Rifle. Could I make that into an 'SBR' and not have it be considered an 'SBR'? Vewwy Vewwy Intewesting.

Black powder guns are not firearms as defined by the ATF and therefore not subject to ATF regulations.
Matter a fact (beside NY and MA) you can carry them concealed without a CCW!
NY changed the law, after a stock broker was (falsely) arrested in NYC for carrying a black powder single shoot in a brief case. The charges were dismissed in court, because up until NY changed to law it was not a firearm and therefore could be carried anywhere.
Of cause MASS followed this step ASAP!

Yeah, do whatever you want with a black powder gun.

I don't believe you can saw off a pre-1891 without registration. It is might be possible to own with registration if it was chopped prior to 1891, but I'm really not sure at all.

"It is might be possible to own with registration if it was chopped prior to 1891......"

Good luck getting that verified with a rifle that has probably changed hands a dozen times over. :)

Back