are Jimenez arms getting better?

bspillman

how was at my local gun range today and just witnessed a couple of guys shooting the jimenez 380. they each got a couple hundred rounds through it and neither one of them reported problems. both man father and son said they had the guns for a few years and have never had an issue. so my question is are these guns getting better made.

I really don't know anything about your question, but why buy any gun with a poor reputation at all?

So many companies go out of their way to offer sound, reliable products. I don't understand why people find excuses to vote somewhere else with their dollars.

Jimenez is another iteration of one of the lowest-quality gun makers in the US; a gun maker that is known for disgustingly cheap and dangerous firearms. Jimenez has earned a reputation for making cheap guns that are utter crap.

I don't care if these two guns you saw are the most reliable guns ever made, the Jimenez business model means they keep pumping out terrible guns at very low prices.

When someone unloads in the slot next to me with one of them I stand back in a safe place to watch with the phone dialed 9-1 and a finger on the last 1, just incase.
:rolleyes:

I know nothing about them have never shot or handled any their handguns in any incarnation, so I did a quick google search.

Based on 10 minutes worth of reading, I would probably not buy.

Not many supporters out there and the fact that the company has re-branded multiple times would be a red flag to me, regardless of price point.

Then I saw an on-line price for nib for only $100.00...low price doesn't always mean cheap, but $100.00? who makes it and where is it made? The slide is stamped Las Vegas NV USA which means exactly what?

They do have a pretty cool website but quick navigation reveals it is not up to full function. Looks like they have modified the frame to mimic a Bersa Thunder or Walther PP; it is a good looking pistol.

For a few dollars more you can find something new, used or lnib with a better track record.

I remember when Bersa, KelTec, Taurus and others were breaking into the US market at lower, even down right cheap price points. I had some skepticism not being familar with the brands or their track record. Those companies are still in business under the same name and have a proven track record in the hands of owners. Today, they still offer firearms to compete in the low price point market with good to great products. Bryco/Jennings/Jimenez doesn't appear to be able to do this at $100 per pistol.

I could be totally wrong here but I think these guys have mfg'ed their .22 and .25 models for years and are supposed to be fun little reliable mouse guns.

Let's stick to factual stuff, folks.

That said, the construction and manufacturing standards of the Jimenez guns are far below what we'd consider industry average. Frames and slides are made from a soft zinc alloy that's die-cast. For a fun plinker, a few extra bucks for one of the Ruger MKIII pistols is a wise investment.

Based on a great deal of hands-on experience with Jimenez and other brands made to those standards, I cannot recommend them for self-defense.

Well, it would be difficult for them to be getting worse ;).

I would hope that every Jimenez isn't a lemon. I'm sure someone has to get a good one every now and then.

Seriously, though, Jimenez and certainly their predecessors have earned their reputation.

A Hi Point should run around maybe $150 or so. There's no reason to bother with the Jimenez.

^^^ That IS the same maker; Jimenez is just the latest incarnation of the Jennings company, which was previously known Bryco. The company is a joke in the firearms community, known for numerous problems with quality and safety. Originally located in Californina, they had many issues with passing state safety tests and also with lawsuits stemming from injuries sustained by users, which is why the company has continually changed names and ownership.

Still have a once fired 'first generation' Jennings 'J-22' (horizontal slide safety), and a '2nd gen' CalWestco/Jennings 'J22' (vertical switch safety)...Both pre-Bryco move...Both Aluminum...Not pot metal...

First gen has maybe 1000 rds since the mid 80's, and the 2nd gen has had 7 rounds through it...

I know of another first gen that has had maybe 500 rounds through it and is still brought out for a few mags of plinking now and then...

Target gun?...Nope...Picky about ammo?...Can be...

Accurate?...Hardly...

Goes bang when I pull the trigger?

Yup...

I don't care if these two guns you saw are the most reliable guns ever made, the Jimenez business model means they keep pumping out terrible guns at very low prices.

Because if they spent the money to make them more reliable and durable, they'd be priced into a different, much more crowded, market niche.

I remember when Bersa, KelTec, Taurus and others were breaking into the US market at lower, even down right cheap price points.

Bersa and Taurus pricing is complicated by the exchange rate thing. Kel Tec is American Made, and they seem skilled at hitting a price/quality/support point that actually works well.

I had a Jennings .22, back when. It was every bit the piece of crap that its reputation says it is.

Last edited:
Still have a once fired 'first generation' Jennings 'J-22' (horizontal slide safety), and a '2nd gen' CalWestco/Jennings 'J22' (vertical switch safety)...Both pre-Bryco move...Both Aluminum...Not pot metal...

First gen has maybe 1000 rds since the mid 80's, and the 2nd gen has had 7 rounds through it...

I know of another first gen that has had maybe 500 rounds through it and is still brought out for a few mags of plinking now and then...

Target gun?...Nope...Picky about ammo?...Can be...

Accurate?...Hardly...

Goes bang when I pull the trigger?

Yup...
JenningsJ-222.jpg

I also have a "first gen" Jennings J-22. Bought it NIB in 1985. $56 OTD. Had a problem with extraction, until I pulled the stamped extractor out, sharpened the hook with a small file, reassembled. Worked darn near 100% after that. I'd guess that it's got an easy 700 or 800 rounds through it.

I purchased it to introduce my then 6 year old daughter to handgun shooting. She learned how to hold a pistol, align the sights and squeeze the trigger with that gun. But, I have not shot it since about 1994. It's not a piece that I routinely chose to take to the range. But, truth be told, I rarely choose to take any .22 to the range.

Cheap, yes. Poor quality...by the standards of any "respectable" handgun...yes. But, if I were a single woman of few means, living in a crappy neighborhood, it may be my only reasonable choice, short of a brick, whose accuracy and effect could also be described as questionable.

Despite its many shortcomings, I'd doubt that many would offer to stand in front of a loaded one while someone pulls the trigger.

At one LGS who sells the Jimenez handguns the guys said they sell a bunch of these guns and rarely get a complaint or a return.

I recently read, but cannot remember where, the new owner was part of Bryco/Jennings but now that he is in the driver's seat has worked a lot on quality issues and changing the company's reputation.

It would be a good thing to have an American manufacturer actually recover from a bad history and become successful.

Having fixed (or tried to fix) many of those guns, I will say that the designs are pretty good, or at least as good as many "better" guns. If they were made of better materials and with better quality control, they would be OK. But then, they would be more expensive.

Jim

I've had. 2nd gen. J-22 for around 20+years. Shot several hundred rounds, 3 stovepipes, cleaned once ( in the last year). All in all not a bad track record. Disassembly & re assembly was a bit of a challenge for the first time. To me its a gun you keep, because resale is worse than hi points. I never really could hit anything with it but never tried 3 ft away either

Last edited:
I was not familiar with any of this family of guns when I took my concealed carry course 7 years ago. One of the fellows taking the test had a Jennings that went full auto with 5 rounds. He was sent home with no certificate. It really made an impression on me!

Back