Are forward serrations a passing fad?

Country Boy

As I was looking through the catalogs for yet another 1911 to purchase (doom on all of you for getting me hooked!), I noticed that virtually every full size 1911 out there has those forward serrations on the slide. I've not racked a slide with those forward serrations, and I'm sure it helps, but IMHO, they look hideous. I want ol' slabsides back! I'm usually a HUGE believer in function over form, but a 1911 is such a work of art by itself, it seems a shame to slice up that front end.

So, in your opinion, are those forward serrations on the slide a passing fad, or are they here to stay? Do you predict they will find their way onto other autoloader designs, or will they fall by the wayside like Fitz'ing a revolver by cutting off part of the trigger guard? Opinions wanted...

I tend to agree with you regarding
the appearance issue. I can deal with
the narrow serrations like Les Baer guns
feature. The Kimber/Wilson wide ones leave
me cold (He said, as he sat fiddling with
his Kimber).

I do believe, though, that they are here to stay.
It's part of the post-modern 1911
manual of arms...called chamber checking. Of the
five courses I took this year, every one of the
instructors,(Cain, Hackathorn, Voight, Ayoob,
Bryant) did it and encouraged it. Just like extended
safeties/slide releases,commander hammers,beavertail
grip safeties(with memory bump),flat mainspring housings, long triggers,serrated/checkered front straps,etc. it's
here to stay.
My guess is, we'll start seeing scallops, fish scales,
stippling, and other variations on the theme in the
near future.

Yeah, they are supposed to be there for press checking (a way to see if your chamber is loaded). They aren't for racking the slide. In Rany Cain's classes you can't press check too often. ljlc

Can someone explain in some detail the process for press checking using the forward serrations?

As far as looks go, it depends upon the gun. I like them on my Kimber, while other models look cleaner without them.

Dick

Yuck!!

Those dang things are one of the reasons why I got a Colt 1991A1 instead of the others, Kimber, SA, etc. I can also customize it, if I want to, the way I want it, with what brands I want.

OT post

Duh, maybe I'm having a rough day, but here's how I "press check", at least that's what I've been referring to it as. I swipe off the safety, and press on the part of the slide directly below the muzzle (just below the bushing) with my off-hand index finger. I don't need to put any other fingers on the slide, because I get enough force from my index finger. This is probably pretty elementary, but could someone describe how I should press check by using those "unsightly gouges" on the front of my gun. ;)

Sport-You've taken classes from those five all in one year? I definitely want to stay one the right side of your muzzle.

Most of the commander sized 1911's are without the forward serrations. I agree with you that the slab sides look better. Look at Springfield's, Champion, or Les Baer's, Stinger. I want one of each. Maybe one day. For now I'll be happy with my Kimber and it's forward serrations.

I have a Springfield Champion, and I have no problem doing a quick chamber check without the benefit of a forward se slide. Perhaps the only way to repent for my sin of being anti-serration is by purchasing the Colt GM my dealer has on his wall.

I hope that they pass from the scene but they won't. However, I just hauled out my "keep my tubby self safe" 1911A1, dropped the magazine, emptied the chamber and did a chamber check by grasping the smooth slide just aft of the muzzle and guess what, I could work the slide without any grooves or serrations.

I have to ask, how much of the gizmos we add to our 1911's are added because of no real need but just because some writer/shooting school owner/hotshot big name shooter suggests/uses the damned things?

Country Boy, thats how I check mine also. But alot of people "in the know" frown on it because of the unsafe practice of putting any body parts near the muzzle.

I hope that they are a passing fad. I also do not like the angled serrations, ala springfield. That's why I bought a colt 1991, I just like the traditional look the best. The 1911 is not "hi-tech" like a walther or a glock, and I fail to understand why people want it try and make it look like something it is not. I like the traditional nature of the pistol, and want it to look the part.

Hate 'em. Wouldn't buy a pistol with 'em. Only thing they're good for is tearing up holsters.
I'm afraid they're here to stay.

If there is a Lord in Heaven this will pass
JMB wants his gun produced with class

A rhyming Haiku by MTAA

Yep, forward slide serrations are like the mullet, blatantly lame and popular in Florida.

I can respect a man who prefers utility over looks, I however don't have any practical need for forward slide serrations.

Weak hand goes under the forward frame (dust cover). The thumb and forefinger(or several fingers if you so choose), without touching the frame, grasp the most forward portion of the slide and press it back slightly (ergo, press check), exposing the chamber. Trigger finger starts out on slide and glides over weak hand fingers as slide moves back. Serrations help, especially if your hands are wet or you have a heavy recoil spring. For 1911's, thumb safety needs to be off.

Personally, I like em...

After too many years of computer service and typing, I am developing issues with grip strength. Those of you who can move the slide of a 1911 with your index finger alone... - IN MY DREAMS!!! I used to be able to, till I got into competetive shooting every weekend. Loading mags is what got me into trouble, along with a huge ammount of mousing and typing...

Next year I will probably be sending my favorite Glocks out for serrations. It's just that little edge that works for me.

Of course, if every MFG stopped doing it, I could always get it done... So what's the worry???

I may be wrong about this, but I think there is a pattern between having the forward slide serrations and full-length guide rods. This may not be 100%, but of the guns I see with full-length guide rods, they do have the forward serrations. So this would address Jim V's issue. You can't press check in the traditional manner (weak side thumb hooked on trigger guard and index finger over the recoil spring cap) with a full-length guide rod.

My thougts too, Gopher. The full length guide rod prevents this. I for one, can do a chamber check without those serrations. My other guns don't have them. If I did find myself in need, then I would prefer a fine spaced line
(25-30 lpi). Hell why don't I just weld a folding vertical handle to the front(ala TMP, 93R).

"....I would prefer a fine spaced line
(25-30 lpi)." That would seem to do it for me, too, although it would break up the symmetric appearance to the slide. You know, fine lines front, coarse lines rear. Incidentally, I meant to say the trigger finger starts out on the frame, not the slide.

you could always use the glock grip, used to disassemble slide from frame.

firing hand goes over rear of slide from the right side, fingers over the top of slide just in front of rear sight. thumb hooks under grip safety and around left grip panel. closing the hand pulls the slide back to reveal chambered round.

this also works on my beretta and p7

Back