Are Colt 1911's any good at all???

shiroikuma

I just bought a used Colt Combat Target (adjustable sights and parker finish plus a Gold cup style trigger and what I think is an extended grip safety) and was not super impressed. Of course I was comparing it to my CZ-75 which shoots like a house afire.. ;)

It's the first time I've shot a 1911 since I was 16 and my uncle let me try some old GI ones (two at once while he waited in the truck cause it was snowing..the sissy) I almost shot my foot off trying to cock one while the other was cocked and I didn't put the safety one..well it wasn't that close really..but I digress). I was shooting at about 10 paces in the snow again(what's up with that?)at a cardboard box with a orange target sticker on it. Slow taking my time I got groups about as big as my palm for two mags worth. Now that isn't exactly worthless, I mean I wouldn't worry about being able to plug a mugger or anything but the old CZ gave me groups at least 1/2 that size shooting as fast as I could line the sights up again..(I have to confess I was using the .22 conversion at the time so recoil was extremely mild). The 9mm top shoots just as well. Is that normal for a Colt 1911? Didn't have any jams but I only shot 50 rounds of hardball. It's probably the second 50 rounds this colt has ever had run through it.

I must say I was impressed with the safeties on the 1911. After fidling with it unloaded for a while (doing cowboy twirls by the trigger guard etc...) I would not be bothered to carry it cocked and locked, not with the grip safety, firing pin safety and thumb safety. Something I NEVER thought I'd say. I still like DA autos best though!

well I've run out of steam.... for the moment.

Shiro in AK

And PS 9mm does not suck! so don't even go their you .45 fanatics.

The Colt 45 Auto

takes work to get proficient with. The Glock, and presumably the CZ, can be shot effectively with little or no firearms experience. But to get groups with the Colt you need to learn good shooting technique. Things like trigger squeeze can throw your groups way off with the Colt. But once you learn how to control the ol monster, it gives satisfaction.

I think BigG hit the nail on the head...to be proficient with any firearm you need to practice with it. The experience you have with the 9 may be what gives you the great groups with it, once you master the .45 it will do as good. Just think what it would have looked like if you had no shooting experience at all:eek:!

USFNJ01.gif

I've always found the 1911 pattern guns to be the most accurate of the semi's for ME. But everyone has different hands, grips, and shooting styles. One thing you might try is to put the gun into your shooting hand with the other hand, pressing your shooting hand up against the grip safety and holding the grip centered between thumb and palm. An old instructor showed me this and I used it quite well as I became familiar with the 1911 guns. After a while your hand "learns" the right grip and this method is no longer necessary. A lot of people seem to want to pick up the 1911 off center for some reason.

Back