Are certain pistol cartraiges more accurate then others?

Peter M. Eick

This is the correllary to my previous post on intrinsically accurate handgun designs.

I know the 45 acp and 10mm rounds are particularly accurate, but is it due to the "mechanics" of the cartraige itself or because we spend so much time and effort on the "optimization" of the load?

It seems logical that the 40S&W could be made as accurate as a 10MM, but why is it that this does not seem to occur?

Or another question to consider is in the 9mm range. Is the 380 auto just as accurate as the 9mm as is the 38 super as is the 357 sig?

This same quesiton could be said about the 40S&w, 10mm, or the 40Super.

Comments and thoughts?

The problem with any question of "intrinsic" accuracy is that each calls for comparing apples and oranges.

We can easily compare loads within the same cartridge, but since we have to change barrels to try another caliber we just lost any direct comparability.

There simply are too many variables and it is impossible to eliminate enough to come to reliable conclusions. Think about the variables: most of which are dependent. weight, velocity, twist rate, bullet construction, case capacity... on and on.

The .40 S&W is actually capable of real fine accuracy when you come up with the right combinations of powder and bullet and it's no less accurate than the 10mm, but it sure is harder to find the combo.

Guns and ammo each have their own set of variables.

It is very hard to separate out all the factors that affect accuracy. For example, I once ran some tests indicating that two of the most accurate pistol cartridges were the .32 ACP and .25 ACP. This was in 10" barrels, but who makes a .25 pistol with a 10" barrel?

Probably the most accurate pistol cartridge is the .22 LR, simply because so much effort has been spent on making it accurate. Next probably the .38 Special (within narrow limits) for the same reason.

Range is a big factor. The .38 Special wadcutter that does fine at 25 yards doesn't cut the mustard at 100, yet I have seen .357's (same basic cartridge) that would hold well under 6 inches at that range with the right load.

Jim

I thought most comp guns were 38 super. I know the IDPA cometetion was won with a 38 super.

The way i see it. Any Sig in any caliber is the most accurate out of the box.

Hey thats my opinion and im stickin to it !

------------------
TIM : )

Charlie Petty seems to be skirting this issue for a few years now. (writes in American Handgunner) He has not stated a conclusive opinion, but some of his writing favors the .45 ACP.

The real issue is the rifling twist as applied by the factory. For a while there, Ruger (with the GP100 anyway) was using a twist that stabilized the 125 grain loads better than the 158s. Conversely, my S&Ws all shot the 158s better.

I have read (but can't recall the author) that the .40 could use a different rate of twist. I do know that the ones I've shot were so-so accurate with ball, but were very good with Gold Dots. (just three Glocks, so not a big test)

Giz

In answer to the topic,IMHO,no.
Certain cartridges do however recieve a great deal of attention with respect to development. I have no doubt, that as the .40 becomes more widespread, and the mfg's have more time to develope loads, bullets, powder and guns for it that it will become more accurate. People will then lament the poor inaccurate 9mm, .45acp, .44 or whatever. I would even think that there is somewhere in the world. someone with far more money and time than I, that is working on a single shot .25acp that is a one holer. This isn't a bad thing though, just isn't my thing. I'm happy anymore to just hit the paper. Dam$ned eyes!

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

I yhink I'd agree with the comment that the .22lr is the most accurate- at least if you just measure group size. The .38 Special is very sensitive to twist rates and it's not unusual to see keyholing @50 yd. with wadcutters when normal twist (1:18.5) barrels are used. In the old days PPC guns were often built with 1:10 and did shoot better.

I think the .45 is my favorite, but not necessarily the most accurate. I have seen 10 shot groups @50 yd. that were under an inch fired with all three: .22, .38 and .45

There is also a strong relationship between tight lockup and accuracy. Competition guns tend to be accurate not only because of the ammo they fire but also by how tight there tolerances are. Take the Swiss Made SIG P210 which is arguably one of the most accurate 9mm's on the planet. The tolerances on that baby are tight. Tighter is better!

Unless you're a bullseye shooter, I don't see where the accuracy of the cartridge has any meaning at all since they're all "accurate enough".
Even if you have an accurate piece you're not going to give much thought to using its accuracy load for self-defense or hunting or whatever. You're going to choose a load based on its appropriateness for the job you're asking it to do and consider it icing on the cake if it happens to be accurate as well.

Fun to speculate, but....

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back