Are Boyd's Recoil Pads Glued on?

baddarryl

Hi all. I got a Boyd's stock Prairie Hunter in walnut for my Marlin xl7. I was thinking I could just pull the recoil pad of my synthetic stock and put it on the walnut. The stock one came right off, but the one on the Boyds seemed maybe to be glued? I didn't want to pull too hard and screw up something on a brand new stock. Have any of you done this?

It may be stuck from the finish on the wood. Just use a thin knife blade between the pad and the wood. GO SLOW!!! It should pop off. I have one boyds stock and I hollowed the buttstock for weight reduction and mine was no trouble to remove.

And by the way. The weight reduction wasn't worth the trouble to do it.

Don't pry between the stock and the butt plate. You may damage the nice, crisp edge on the stock.

Tap the side of the butt plate with a 'soft' hammer. (Rubber, plastic, rawhide... whatever you have that don't damage the stock.)

It should pop right off .... and fall directly onto the hardest surface available, if you aren't prepared, but did want to save it.

I don't believe the X7 butt pads will work with the Boyd's stock contours. I considered doing the same thing, but ran into some kind of issue (but it could have just been the need for new screw holes ... I'm lazy sometimes ;)).

I don't think Boyd sells replacement butt pads for their stocks, at least I could not find it at their website. Will be nice if they can tell us the source of their pads and what would fit.

I wanted the 1 inch optional pad they had, but my girl got this for me and the order was already placed. Thought I would see if I could put the one from my Marlin on as it it pretty good.

Last edited:
I don't think Boyd sells replacement butt pads for their stocks, at least I could not find it at their website. Will be nice if they can tell us the source of their pads and what would fit.

They do offer Pachmayr pads on their stock, but I do not know which model from Pachmayr they use. I have a stock on backorder that should be arriving in the next couple weeks with the optional 1" Pachmayr pad on it, and I will let you know if I am able to tell which model it is on there.

Back