are all 91/30s the same length?

lordhedgwich

So title says it all. I have 2 91/30s I just got one tonight and it is just like an inch shorter than my other 91/30 which i thought was odd. So is it special? or are some different lengths

I'm not a Mosin expert, but I know there are different types of 91/30's.

Your best source for info is 7.62x54r.net website.

I believe the action and barrels are all pretty much the same, but the stocks vary in length, especially those made during WW II.

All M91/30 barrels were 27-3/4" in length.

If it's different, it's not a 91/30, or it was modified at some point. How much barrel is ahead of the front sight compared to the other?

Probably got stored away wet at the arsenal, it shrank a bit over the years.

Have a chamber cast made, it might need to run 7.62x51 now, or something.

There are some variations. I've had a couple of customers with receivers with some "unexplainable" differences in action screw measurements where the pillars just didn't quite line up.

Given the many decades and different factory locations of manufacture, not surprising to see some of this- but I've never heard of an inch of difference. If the front sight is closer to the end of the barrel I suspect it may have been cut/ re-crowned at the arsenal much as many were counterbored.

The import mark says m91/30 just like my other mosin

What does the rifle say? Year and maker would be a good start.

If they are both WW2 era Soviet, then yeah, possibly Ivan had a liquid lunch.

I have seen quite a few different barrel lengths of Mosins when they are stacked. Never really gave it much thought as to why. From What I have observed, the older ones from the 1890s have the longest barrels.
There are many different variations and builders of these rifles. I hope in the future someone puts together a book this subject.

Back