***Are 9mm Magnum Research Baby Eagles any good?

magnum_force

How do 9mm Magnum Research Baby Eagles compare to other semi autos?

Are they reliable and accurate? What kind of problems do the Baby Eagles have?

Do you recommend the fullsize, midsize or compact Baby Eagles?

I owned one previously.The trigger pull,I believe, was 12 lbs.,in double action.The gun worked well,but I was unable to adapt to the trigger.You might want to try one first,if possible.

Magnum Force, CDNN has the Baby Eagle on sale for $329.00 right now. I was thinking about one myself, but I opted for the Walther P990 DAO. I've never owned a DAO gun, but I own the P99 and it is an excellant gun. I'll let everyone know about the P990 once I get it to the range.

Mike

Does CDNN Investments only give price quotes over the phone, or do they have a catalog ? I can't seem to find any guns listed on their site.

Do you recommend the fullsize, midsize or compact Baby Eagles?

The only difference between the midsize and full size is the barrel length. My .45 is midsize because that's the only size in which they offer that caliber. I would choose full size if I had the option.

MTAA- They used to not have the firearms on thier web site at all. Just this last week or so they have added a downloadable catalog that uses the Adobe PDF format. You need a 4.0 version to read the catalog but it's free at the adobe site http://www.adobe.com Or if you use windows and IE you can just drag the downloaded file into your IE window and IE will display the catalog.

The downloadable catalog is just their mail out paper catalog and includes all their firearms.

I love cz's and I'm flirting with the idea of a mini 9mm. Anyone know if the Mag Research baby eagles have night sights available? They are supposed to be made my Tanfoglio and I don't think the EAA witness (tanfoglio) CZ copies have night sites available even from the aftermarket makers like mepro or ??

:)

shiro in AK

One of my old SSgt's has one, and him and I used to tear up the range with it. Although it was a little heavy, it was accurate as heck, and a good solid weapon. I almost bought one before I bought my HK. You really can't beat the price either.

Semper Fi-
JJC

DEPs

I can assure everyone that their customer service through Magnum Research is first rate and they will do what it takes to make any repair a positive experience. That means alot to me.

I found some unnerving information about the safety of the Desert Eagle. Seems like some Dessert Eagles didn't pass the drop test. Are baby eagles unsafe also?

Check out this info:

http://www.mcw.edu/fic/eagle_body.html

Tests conducted during our evaluation of this firearm revealed that it will fire when dropped onto the hammer if the hammer is resting on the firing pin and the safety is in the firing position. It was further not ed that the firearm will also fire if the safety is in the fire position and the gun is dropped onto the muzzle.

In addition to the firearm indicated above, samples of 357 Magnum and 50 Action Express pistols were tested. These tests revealed that they will also fire when dropped onto the muzzle or hammer.

magnum_force,

These tests were done on pistols with the safety off. In decock/safe mode, the firing pin is blocked and the trigger doesn't function in this mode. According to the manual, it can't fire in this condition. However, the organization that made the test did not drop-test with the safety on, only with the safety off.

From what I understand, the Baby Eagles are clones of the CZ-75 but made to resemble the Desert Eagle. The Baby eagle is VERY heavy and has a slide mounted decocker, as oppossed to the frame mounted safety on the CZ.

Hello. I bought a fullsize BE 9mm a week ago and just fired it yesterday. I put only 50 rounds through it, but had no problems. It shot great.
I like the weight of the fullsize model. It feels great in my hand.
I'm happy with the trigger pull (although i don't shoot from DA mode much). It seemed more accurate than I'm capable of shooting.
I plan on putting at least 100 rounds through it this weekend.
Happy Shooting
Shoot9

Longshot, Magnum Research needs to correct the problem. What if I accidentally drop the gun with the safety off and you are standing to the right or left of me at the range, I am sure you will not like the whole in your body after such an incident. Accidents happen no matter how careful people are. Magnum Research will end up like Ford/Firestone if they don't correct their problems.

magnum_force,

I think we both agree that it would be better if no gun ever discharged when dropped hammer down with a round in the chamber.

Is this problem unique to Desert Eagles and Makarovs (only two I know about), or is it common to many handguns? It seems to me that if a 1911 was chambered and dropped hammer down, it would fire if it landed a certain way. I'm not an expert, and I'm always interested in learning about firearms safety.

Back