Are 1860 army and 1851 navy frames the same?

Nate, as far as the Pietta revolvers, I have no idea. However, the
Colt revolvers are quite different with frame cutaways to fit the larger cylinder for the .44 caliber ball and more powder to meet the army's needs.

Roger

The 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, and 1860 Army use the same basic frame with the only difference being the cut down water table on the 1860 to allow for the larger diameter rebated cylinder. Some current manufacture frames have enough clearance for the rebated cylinder without the cut down water table.

Pietta

I just bought a Pietta 1851 Navy. The grip frame is similar to the original Colt 1860 Army, not the original Colt 1851 Navy. The original Colt 1860 Army had a downward rear slant insofar as the grip frame was concerned.

I see. I knew they were similar but didn't really know if there were any significant differences. I ask because I found a shoulder stock for a '58 navy and was wondering if it would fit my 1860. Probably not without some modifications.

I just bought a Pietta 1851 Navy. The grip frame is similar to the original Colt 1860 Army, not the original Colt 1851 Navy. The original Colt 1860 Army had a downward rear slant insofar as the grip frame was concerned.

That sounds like the so called .44 navy. It does have an 1860 grip frame.

Keep in mind there was never such a thing as a ".44 Navy" that ever left the Colt factory in the 19th century. It is a modern invention.

In fact, the nomenclature of "Navy" and "Army" actually refers to the caliber of the weapons. .36 was called "Navy caliber" and .44 was the "Army Caliber", hence the original name of the '51 Navy as the "Colt's revolving belt pistol of Navy caliber" or something like that.

Keep in mind there was never such a thing as a ".44 Navy" that ever left the Colt factory in the 19th century. It is a modern invention.

That's why I said so called.:D

Back