AR7 or M6 or???

voodoo

I'm looking for a takedown rifle to add to my backpacking kit. Can anyone give me the lowdown on these two? Pros? Cons? Is there another takedown rifle out there worth considering???

Thanks

A gunshop in Alaska modifies the Marlin 1895 and others into a takedown version called the Guide Gun (the original Guide Gun). The shop is called Wild West Guns. I think Keith Rogan could give you more information on this if you're interested.

I took a look at the takedown Marlins they're offering at Wild West. Absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, they run about $1300. I'm looking for something a bit more, for lack of a better word, "disposable"...

Take a look at the SUB-9 rifle...

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

For backpacking, the AR7 is lighter. Remember, weight is an important consideration when you're limited to what you can carry. Since everything stows in the stock, it is very compact and tidy too.

The advantage of the M6 is the dual caliber (22 LR or .22 Hornet and .410 shotgun). Depending on your level of fieldcraft, both are good for deer; naturally the 410 with a slug. The 410 is also good for bird but as the # of shot is considerably less than a 12 or 20 gauge, you must be better of a shooter to bring down something in flight. The disadvantage of the M6 is that it is heavier and won't float. Oh, I also think volume wise the M6 is less than the AR7.

For myself, I'd go with the M6. More versatility with the dual caliber and the shotgun feature (slug and shot).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have an AR7. It's light and durable. However, it's anemic. I'd go with a Glock 29 in 10mm--that way, you can take care of anything that confronts you on the trail!

what about the browning?
22 L.R. 37" $415.00
Semi-Auto 22 Rifle

This is the original designed by John Moses Browning himself. The Browning Semi-Auto 22 is truly a unique design,
unlike any other 22 caliber rifle. Ideal proportions and balance, and slender lines make the Semi-Auto 22 an easy-handling
and quick-pointing rifle. Adults find it easy to shoot accurately. Kids seem to gravitate to its tubular loading port in the
stock that simplifies loading and unloading. Bottom ejection directs empties, powder residues and gases harmlessly toward
your feet. The Semi-Auto 22 can be quickly taken down to a complete length of only 19". Just depress a latch on the
bottom of the receiver (where it meets the forearm) and, while holding by the steel of the receiver, give the barrel a quarter
turn. The rear sight folds flush to the barrel for casing, and is adjustable.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/rimfires/rimrifls/semiauto.htm

there is one at the local walmart but some one broke the stock, a 1 inch chunk is missing from the stock at the reciever...

how much of a discount?
they have had it for a year in the showcase...

dZ

Forgot that Marlin also made (still makes?) the Model 39A in takedown. I should have remembered as I have one in my safe.

The Browning 22 Auto is a good choice, anything designed by JMB hisself has to be good! But back to the question, an AR7 is a decent rifle, provided you don't ask it to be what it's not... e.g., some people think a 22 needs to be a Haemmerli, it's not that. Some people thing the trigger needs to be 2 1/2 # and break like a S&W on single action, it's not that... What it is, is a light handy rifle which is compact and reasonably accurate and fires a universally available cartridge, unlike 22 Hornet. You also will not mourn near as much if you scratch it up, as you would if you nicked your Belgian Browning. The AR7 gets my vote. :)

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

I would choose the .22LR. My reasons are:
1. .22LR is the cheapest and lightest ammo you can buy
2. .22LR is so common you can get it anywhere. ( Would you like fries and a brick of .22LR with that burger :) )
3. Its quiet

I'm sure I've forgotten something.
Hope that helps.

Chuck

I will wade in here since I own 2xAR7's and 3x M6's. As you can tell
The 1st AR7 is an original Armalite (Costa Mesa) AR7 with the mixed plastic stock and the 2nd is a Charter Arms. I have found them to be reliable, weak spot seems to be the magazines since they are cheap and can deform easily. I just make sure the ammo I shoot throught them is reliable and make sure the mags are reliable also. As far as size goes, it is lighter than the M6 but it does take up more room than the M6 does(as the moderator already pointed out). The stock on the AR7 is very fat to accomidate the action and other components. The M6 is very slim and when it is broken down it is a small package.
Of the M6's I have, 2 are original(made by Springfeild Armory)versions in .22LR without the trigger guard and the 3rd is a new version(made by CZ for SA)in .22 Hornet. I really like the M6. As you can tell I really like the M6's, I like the dual caliber. I like the .410 guage and have other guns chanberd in it and relaod for it also. I also like the .22 Hornet so I had to have a .22 Hornet over .410 when they became available.
I have found the M6 a very capable weapon. Once you get used to the funky trigger, it is very accurate. I have shot the .22 LR version allot(had it for a few years) and I recently got the hornet version and just started loading for it and shooting it. The hornet version is also a very accurate version.
Depending on what you want it for I would say that the .22LR version would be the better bet for all the reason chucko allready mentioned.

NJW in AZ

In 22's Ill take a remington mdl 61,pump action and tubular fed, fires shorts, long, and lr, has a takedown screw/knob on the left side of the receiver and was designed in a era when gun makers made rifles that pointed well...you can still find them in excellent shape, the last one that got away and I couldnt afford was going for $400......fubsy.

or for that matter a ruger 1022 isnt that long......fubsy.

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited August 31, 1999).]

I have a Bauer Rabbit. It's a little .22/.410 over and under. It's all metal with a skeletonized stock. Breaks down into two pieces with a length of 20". Assembled it's 38 1/2 inches. Weighs 4 3/4 pounds.

It's a single shot. Pull up the rear sight and you've selected the rifle barrel, push it down and you've selected the shotgun. It has a charging handle that looks like a trigger in front of the trigger guard. Pulling this back cocks the weapon.

It's all manual operation, single shot, manual extractor. It's got an almost indestructable black crinkle paint finish.

Found it NIB in a gunshop several years ago. Cost $75.00 I think this has been marketed under a couple of different brand names.

Jeff

Back