AR7 22LR SURVIVAL RIFLE.

Dude;

Take off your Caps lock when posting. Not only is all capped text hard to read, it is considered shouting in the cyber world.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I had one back in late '70s. Its major asset was the convenience of its compact storage. The sights were not adjustable, and accuracy was abysmal. I gave mine away to a guy in Louisiana who subsequently used it to pop cotton-mouth water-moccasins at point-blank range, as they tried to get into his jon-boat. It worked well for him, so I reckon its utility is dependent on how you expect to use it. Personally, I think you'd be better off with a good .22LR handgun with adjustable sights.

Hello. I had one of these in the seventies. It was not reliable and constantly jammed. Perhaps that's been fixed now, but I cannot say for sure as I've not messed around with these since. Best.

When they are brand new they seem to function O.K. not accurate but barely acceptable. Once they get a few hundred round through them the barrel and bolt shows wear at the chamber area and the reliability plummets. Might be alright with the all steel barrels but not with the stock ones.

I purchased a Marlin Papoose a couple of months ago. Similar to AR-7, but all stainless with a synthetic stock. Nice shooter. No problems. Quite accurate. It breaks down and fits in a cordura case that is supposed to float. The little rifle weighs 3.25 lbs. I'm happy with it. It fits nicely behind the seat of my truck.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

[This message has been edited by WLM (edited January 31, 2000).]

I had one...gave it away

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I have an Explorer II, the pistol version of the AR-7 made by Charter Arms. It's okay, but far from reliable. With the factory 8rd mags, it seems to work okay, but I have several other mags from folks like Ram-line, in both 10rd and 30rd and with them, it jams every other round by crushing the tip of the bullet into the top edge of the chamber. It's more of a novelty than a real "survival" rifle, in my opinion, but I keep mine around 'cause it's fun to play with, and it has interchangable 8" and 10" bbls, so it looks pretty wierd too. Of course, mine is quite older, and they may have improved the design or reliability since then - I think the design has been through at least two other manufacturers since Charter.
-John

Back