AR15

Status
Not open for further replies.

muleshoe

I am preparing to buy my first AR. Will be using it on coyotes and some neighbor's pesky dogs who insist on chasing my cows, then standing off 300 or 400 yards making obscene gestures. I need something economical to shoot and won't scare the pants off my wife when she shoots it. I've been doing a lot of reading and think that a Bushmaster flat-top, 20", topped with a 6x20 Leupold that I already have. Am I on the right tree? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks....

Muleshoe,
Sounds like you've got it figured out. For mounting the 6x20 you might want to look at the Bushmaster "V" Match. Comes with a free float handguard and shaved front sight.

You won't have to contend with the shadow of the front sight base in your FOV and the free float handguard makes mounting a bipod easier.

I'd go with the heavier bullet weights as the wind is rather rough on the 40 to 55 grain bullets at that range.

Jeff

Mr. White has mentioned some good stuff - you will need to either buy one that's already free floated or have a tube installed after you get it. Accuracy is pretty darned good before the float but it's phenominal after!

The only really economical ammo is the 55 grain but, again, Mr. White is correct about wind drift, especially out past 200 yards. The heavier bullets require faster twist barrels. You will probably want a 1/8 or 1/7 twist for the 62 to 75 grain bullets. I use a 1/9 for the 55 grain and it's pretty good out to 300 yards (1 MOA or better). The cheap ammo won't shoot that well so the economy factor is just for the practice stuff. Break it in with the cheap ball ammo and sight it in with something like Hornady V-Max - you'll love it!

Mikey

I hope your joking about the dogs. Serious legal troubles could ensue, not to mention losing your right to own firearms all together. You should at least warn your neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back