AR15

muleshoe

I am preparing to buy my first AR. Will be using it on coyotes and some neighbor's pesky dogs who insist on chasing my cows, then standing off 300 or 400 yards making obscene gestures. I need something economical to shoot and won't scare the pants off my wife when she shoots it. I've been doing a lot of reading and think that a Bushmaster flat-top, 20", topped with a 6x20 Leupold that I already have. Am I on the right tree? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks....

Muleshoe,
Sounds like you've got it figured out. For mounting the 6x20 you might want to look at the Bushmaster "V" Match. Comes with a free float handguard and shaved front sight.

You won't have to contend with the shadow of the front sight base in your FOV and the free float handguard makes mounting a bipod easier.

I'd go with the heavier bullet weights as the wind is rather rough on the 40 to 55 grain bullets at that range.

Jeff

Mr. White has mentioned some good stuff - you will need to either buy one that's already free floated or have a tube installed after you get it. Accuracy is pretty darned good before the float but it's phenominal after!

The only really economical ammo is the 55 grain but, again, Mr. White is correct about wind drift, especially out past 200 yards. The heavier bullets require faster twist barrels. You will probably want a 1/8 or 1/7 twist for the 62 to 75 grain bullets. I use a 1/9 for the 55 grain and it's pretty good out to 300 yards (1 MOA or better). The cheap ammo won't shoot that well so the economy factor is just for the practice stuff. Break it in with the cheap ball ammo and sight it in with something like Hornady V-Max - you'll love it!

Mikey

I hope your joking about the dogs. Serious legal troubles could ensue, not to mention losing your right to own firearms all together. You should at least warn your neighbors.

Great choice, unless of course you're in Kali, but I assume you're not.

It was mentioned about 55 gr for "practice" and that seems like a smart idea, but be sure that you send a few downrange of the weight that you are going to use in the field. They will shoot just a bit different than the 55's (68's aren't too bad.)

Don't discount "the cheap ammo." I played with some Fed Premium, etc. & tried quite a few reloads with various premium bullets, etc. Turned out, the bext accuracy I got was with Fed's American Eagle 50HP <$4/box.
This in a Colt HBAR 1:9

Just depends what your rifle likes best.

Thanks for the response. Now I need to know about triggers, From what I gather, stock triggers can be a bit stiff to say the least. What brand is the best and what should I expect to pay for it. Also, what should I expect to pay for a Bushmaster V-Match? Mr. Mcgee, as for the the dogs, they are a bunch of inbred mutts who's owner won't try to keep on their own place nor do they care where they go. Mine aren't the only cows they chase, I'll be doing the county a favor. Thanks again for the response....

Most AR-15 triggers are excessively heavy and rough out of the box, but they seem to improve a good bit with a little wear and lubrication. I'd put 250 rounds through the rifle before going to an aftermarket trigger.

Point of clarification: Are you buying the AR specifically for targets mentioned, or are they secondary? Nothing against the AR, but I'd suggest a .22-250 for those targets at that range. I have one, and it would fit your requirements perfectly. Check the ballistics. Flatter-shooting, little recoil, and delivers considerably more energy. Kind of half-way between the .223 and .243, and a significant improvement. I truly hope the AR is not your choice thinking that you will "walk your shots" to the target, which or course would be inhumane and sloppy marksmanship. And if those neighbor's dogs are coyote-size or larger, the .223 is marginal at the range you propose.
Muscles McGee makes a good legal point about the dogs. Be careful. I sympathize with your having livestock harassed like that; my lamb supplier had to start a whole new sheep flock because the old one was so harried by a "pick-up" pack of dogs that the sheep were too nervous to leave their enclosures to eat. She had to slaughter the entire flock. Plus the loss of those killed outright by the dogs. Quite a tragedy. Still, she was not (to date) killing the dogs. Don't know if she was trying to be a good neighbor, or whether the sheriff told her she couldn't kill them. This is also in Montana, where we have a fair amount of leeway in protecting our livestock. Good luck, whatever your choice.

I'd be surprised if a real legal research, as opposed to a layman's opinion (no offense intended) would reveal that you were prohibited from killing the dogs that are chasing your cows.

If anything, you'd probably have pretty decent grounds for civil litigation against your neighbors who own the offending canines.

I really love my Bush Shorty. I get great accuracy from it with Sierra 69gr. fmjbthp, and it has the 1/9 twist. I free-floated the barrel with a DPMS tube. Torqued the barrel nut to 50#.

On the other hand, I agree with the poster who recommended the 22-250. If long-range shooting is your only purpose, it'd be hard to beat a Rem. VS in that caliber. (Or the Varmint Laminated in .243)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

Here in NC where I live we have a lease law and I have had trouble with dogs trying to get into my chicken lot. The first time I caught the dogs and called animal control. Turned out they were my neighbors and he became a real a$$hole because it cost him $120 to get them back. Sheriff's department said I would have been in the right if I had shot them to protect my property. The next time I tried to run the dog off, different dog, and it came at me. Needless to say 000 buckshot gave him a quick case of lead poisoning and then I called the Sheriff's department. They came out, said there was no problem, and it actually made their job easier, but I had to bury the dog.

The AR would be fine and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm not too worried about the legalities of stray pooch shootin, my only neighbor in rifleshot is my Dad and he likes to lob .308s at those mangy canines. Being 12 miles from town leash laws aren't in effect. What I'd like to know is what I should expect to pay for a Bushmaster V Match. Thanks again, I enjoy reading the responses. Great forum....

Muleshoe,
Go to http://bushmaster.com and check their website. They used to have MSRP prices listed. The market is crazy right now with all the California panic buying and the Y2K craze, I'd hate to venture a guess. Try the for sale boards in the Discussion Forums at http://www.AR15.com

I have a friend here in Southern Illinois who got into one for $850, it was a postban but came with a Simmons scope.

For the kind of shooting you plan on doing a post ban may be better, the flash hider actually decreases accuracy some.

Jeff

Muleshoe, here in Colorado its not only legal to kill dogs harrassing livestock, but its a healthy out of pocket expense to the owner of the dog, if it injures or kills any livestock. Needless to say, either the owner keeps their pooch under control or it becomes coyote bait - and then the coyotes are an added bonus and alot of fun! I recommend the AR15 - handy for varmints and SHTF scenarios... if the need ever arises.

Back