AR15 v M16

sballa25

Inactive
I need some help. I don't know much about guns. I am looking at buying a rifle. What are the differences if any between an AR15 and an M16, they seem like the same gun to me.

'M16' is the military designation for the standard issue service rifle, chambered in 5.56 NATO. 'AR15' is a general term used to refer to the civilian version of the 'M16'. AR15s are semi-auto in nature, where the M16 is select fire (safe, semi-auto, burst and/or full auto).

Another difference - if you jump though all the hoops to legally buy an old M-16 you'll be looking at $20,000.00+! An AR will be only about $1,000.00 +/- a few bucks. :eek:

AR are worth every penny - all that extra noise? Good for some, but i don't see it as yet in my future.

M16 3 round burst/full auto fire is rarely used in combat. I could have used my current Bushmaster as easily as my M16A2 during my early military years (later I was issued a 1911A1 and subsequent M9 -- Officer).

While we're on the subject, here's a question for all you nice folks who own AR-15's and variations and including those in the service issued with M-4's and M16's.

As you probably know the original AR-15 and M16 had no bolt forward assist feature, or whatever it's called. The AR-10 never had it either. The question is, has anyone ever actually needed to use this feature?

Nope. And my bushmaster manual tells me that I should never need to unless my rifle gets really dirty. Every now and then after changing mags I'll hit it, but the bolt never goes any further. I guess that's cause it's already seated full foward. BTW- I have an M4 14 inch barrel version.

Would I be correct in thinking that the majority of parts (uppers, lowers, etc.) for an M16 and AR15 are interchangeable.

Mostly interchangeable, BUT...

M16 fire control components (trigger, disconnector, selector, hammer, sear, and bolt carrier) should not be used in an AR15, nor should they even be in your possession if you own an AR15. Mere possesion of those six parts in conjunction with an AR15 can be prosecuted as an unregistered machinegun. They don't have to be installed in the gun, nor do they even have to be in the same location as the gun. Additionally, while there are some upper & barrels assemblies shorter than 16", they should only be used on one of the following:

a.) an AR15 pistol (no stock)
b.) a registered AR15 SBR (short barreled rifle)
c.) a registered AR15 AOW (any other weapon - no stock, vertical foregrip)
d.) a regisered machinegun/M16

Thanks for the help. I have access to an m16 for a real low price (nothing) but the fun button has been removed.

If you happen to live in the US, regardless if the "fun button" has been removed, a M16 receiver is considered a machinegun. The government, in their infinite wisdom, have determined that if a gun was ever a machinegun, it is a machinegun forever. Doesn't matter if you remove all of the full auto parts. Not a good thing to have in your possession unless properly registered. The asking price (nothing), makes this one sound unregistered.

Would I be correct in thinking that the majority of parts (uppers, lowers, etc.) for an M16 and AR15 are interchangeable.
On most yes. Colt deliberately changes some aspects of their AR-15s so that military parts will not interchange. But they are in the minority.

Oh and the forward assist has been used in the sandbox. If you get enough sand in the action, or made the mistake of using a sticky lubricant, you will probably need it.

I may need to look a little harder at what I am getting or won't be getting, I sure don't want anything I'm not supposed to have. If it's supposed to be registered and its not, then I sure won't take it.

Someday, hopefully, all this madness about machine guns will end. The way I read the Bill of Rights, my rights to arms include useful military equipment.....

Until then, if you don't get in trouble for something else, the BATF has no reason for inspecting the internals of your rifle at the range. Be aware, but don't get too concerned.

Before all of this mumbo-jumbo about what parts make what, civilian, semi-auto AR-15s were assembled and sold using surplus parts, including the bolt carier, hammer, and (maybe) the trigger. The two important parts are the selector and auto-sear. But beurocrats always have to have stuff on their reviews to get promoted......

-tINY

tINY-

While I'd agree in principle, I see no end to the federal regulation of NFA weapons. In fact, I only see it getting more restrictive as some senators have introduced legislation to regulate .50's as NFA weapons, and BATFE continually issues more restrictive advisory opinions.

As to BATFE inspecting your gun at the range, its not just that you have to worry about. Most (if not all) states prohibit possession or ownership of machineguns not registered under the NFA. Thus its not just BATFE you have to worry about, but state and local law enforcement also. If you shoot it in full auto, plan on having to explain it. Even bumpfiring a semi can draw a lot of questions and unwanted attention at the range.

very easy to make an ar15 a m16 you will need the m16 fcg,m16 bolt and carrier and a little time and skill. should cost you $350.00. but if you get caught that $15000.00 to $20000.00 will seam cheap ,because a lawer and the fines will be twice that .oh and by the way you will be required to spend some time as a guest of our government ,I hear the accomidations are not at all first class .so spend the money and get a leagal registered m16 or just enjoy shooting semi for under $1000.00. I rember when you could buy an m16 for $2200.00 pluss the tax stamp and background check .

Thanks for the help. I have access to an m16 for a real low price (nothing) but the fun button has been removed.

I'm assuming that you're talking about a weapon registered under the NFA as a machine gun prior to 1986 -- Removing the auto-parts from a full auto weapon doesn't change its legal status as a machine gun. Heck, even if you permanently modified the reciever so it could no longer hold M16 parts, you'd still be in trouble. "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun" is the BATFE's stance.

If you buy it without going through the NFA process, you WILL be breaking federal law, and liable for some stiff penalties.

As you probably know the original AR-15 and M16 had no bolt forward assist feature, or whatever it's called. The AR-10 never had it either. The question is, has anyone ever actually needed to use this feature?

Yes. I have. For that reason, I wouldn't have an AR without one. If that doens't bug you and you won't be engaging in two-way live fires, by all means get one without a forward assist.

Back