AR15 storage

Jeff Thomas

I bought some of those yellow AR15/M16 safety blocks the other day at a gun show. Seemed like a good idea for safe storage, clearly indicating no magazine / ammo, etc.

Now I'm thinking that maybe they're good for the range, but not so for long-term storage (month to 3 months - can't always shoot as often as I'd like) The safety blocks can't be locked into place unless the bolt is retracted, and so that will compress the recoil spring. Since there seems to be concern about storing magazines fully loaded due to spring compression, should I rethink this plan? For that matter, besides a good cleaning and lubrication, are there any other considerations for storage? Can't seem to find much about storage in most books or on the 'net. Thanks.

Jeff,
I'd just use the blocks at the range. Springs developing "set" has been cussed and discussed for years. If it causes "set" to develop or not, the Army requires M16s to be stored with the bolt and hammer forward. On an inspection they will randomly pull triggers of rifles in the rack, and if a hammer falls you're "unsat".

For storage of up to 90 days, just clean the rifle, give it a good heavy coat of CLP and put it up. Don't be surprised when you pick it up later that it seems dirty again. That's just the CLP working in the pores in the metal and continuing to clean. Just witpe excess CLP off with a rag and punch the bore with a dry patch and shoot.
Jeff

In my department's tactical unit, we use the plastic safety blocks whenever engaged in grabastic training / movement drills as a way to verify at a glance that the gun is safe.

I don't think they were ever intended for use while storing. Bolt forward, hammer down.

Enjoy

Gentlemen, thank you. You know, I called Bushmaster after posting this, and the fellow there told me it was fine to store them with the bolt locked back and the safety blocks in. To tell you the truth, even though they're the factory, I wasn't comfortable with the logic of that answer. I appreciate your feedback. The blocks come out, and the bolts / hammers will be forward. Adios.

Hey what about chamber plugs? I used them in the military and to me they seemed like a great way to store a rifle in a gun safe. In the local gun stores all I get is a goofy look every time I inquire about chamber plugs, does anybody know a company that sells them?
Later
Daren

Since the AR isn't exactly the first weapon I go for when I going to defend my house, I store it in a hard case in all its pieces upper, lower, carrier, in the hard case and mags and ammo in a seperate ammo case in my friends attic. That way, a lot of accidnets have to happen before you accidently shoot someone

Back