AR15 sight problem

Doctari

Hello all,

I have an AR15 I put together from model 1 sales. Of course the upper came assembled and headspaced.

To be on the black at 100 yards the rear sight needs to be cranked way over to the left. Any ideas where I should start to try and true up the windage? Problem with the front sight, back sight? Barrel not indexed correctly?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Doctari

According to unsubstantiated rumors Colt test firers solved the problem by picking up the gun by the stock and whacking the end of the barrel on the floor. This bent the barrel just enough to bring things in line. Whether you want to try that, is, of course, up to you, but I have no doubt that it works.

Jim

Most likely the barrel is not properly indexed to the reciever. There is room between the index pin on the barrel and the slot in the reciever. You will need a barrel wrench and a good strong vice to solve this problem. Also a 1/16 punch to remove the gas tube and some barrel blocks.

If this is too much to bother with, call Model one and see what they'll do for you. If not, e-mail me and I'll walk you through it. It isn't hard, but it does take some tools. Hope this helps.

------------------
My brain's a hand grenade...catch. Ice-T, OG.

The M-16 is a damn fine weapon, but your best, your most lethal and effective weapon is between your ears. Ssgt Brown, Parris Island, 3rd Bn, H co. 1984.

Back