AR15 sight adjustment for 300 meters

dutchy

Okay, This question I was asked today by one of my fellow clubmembers.
Usually I am not caught without an answer. Today I was. Here it is.
He has an AR 15 in .223. Shoots 69 grains BTHP.
His sight-in distance is 100 meters.
In November he has a 300 meters match.
Question: which way should the REAR SIGHT be adjusted?
Up or down.
My M96 swedish Mauser is simple: UP.
But because of the relatively large bore - line of sight distance, how is a AR 15 adjusted?

I promised him that this forum would be quick to reply, please do not embarrass me.

regards,

Dutchy

Meters?

Anyway, it is up...and if he is using 69 grainers, tell him to try using ten clicks for 300 yards. Elevation-wise, that should get him on paper at least. I was using ten clicks for the Mk 262 Mod 1 ammo that I was using which is a cannelured 77gr HPBT.

Number of clicks depends on how many MOA per click. An AR15 is usually 1/2 MOA; some match sights are 1/4 MOA.

What kind of match?

Lee

The sights on an A2 style AR-15 upper receiver are 1/2 minute of angle.

Be careful...many sights on rifles used for competition that are maintained by Army, Navy, or Marine armorers use the 1/4 sights.

And check the sights, carefully. The standard flip aperture sight on one rifle that was issued to me was installed so that the peep "bowl" was backwards. Trust me, that relief is there for a reason.

BTW..in my experience, the Navy/Marines now issue Mk 262 Mod 1 for competition shooting.

Last edited:
maybe this will help....

attachment.php

Attachments

• ballistics.JPG
    ballistics.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 3,720
if this is a standard civilian model AR the rear sights are most likely 1 minute...

based on 2 Colts and 3 Bushmasters that ive started with before upgrading them for other shooters...

actually the colts were closer to 1-1/3 moa...

Back