AR15 newby

Artdent.22

Inactive
Hello,

Ive been thinking of getting one of these "black rifles" for a few reasons. 1. it would be fun to own. 2. it would be somewhat of a political statement. 3. I think it will become more and more difficult to obtain these type of weapons in the near future (unfortunately).

What Id like to know is what to look for in a good weapon so I dont come across as totally ingnorant to the salesperson. What should a novice look at when handling one of these weapons regardless if theyre new or used? What about brandnames and all that sort of thing. thanks for any information.

Matt

Exactly what metro25 stated. www.ar15.com has tons of info. Also go to their discussion forums. They have forums for every "brandname" maker as well as forums for parts of the rifle. Very good place.
From personal experience, you can't go wrong with Bushmaster. I'm sure many will tell you that also. The rifle is Mil-Spec and the barrel is chromed-lined with a 1-9" twist rate.
What to look for? Make sure it looks good! :)

I'm far from an AR-15 expert, but from what I've seen, your first one is best purchased new, from a reputable dealer. These rifles lend themselves to becoming 'patchwork quilts', with parts coming from various sources. Unless you really know your stuff, I don't know how people avoid buying junk AR's in the used market.

Besides the reasons you note above (and recognizing there is occasional debate in this area) AR's are generally considered to be very durable and practical self defense rifles. There is even a school of thought (and research) that 55 grain, .223 hollowpoint bullets don't penetrate as much as handgun ammunition, and so the AR may have more appropriate defensive uses than previously believed.

When you're on ar15.com, read up on magazines. You'll want to buy some 30 and 20 rounders, in mil spec. These are expensive, but they may actually become more difficult to get than the rifles, in the near term.

After you get the rifle, take a 'Tactical Carbine' course from a reputable school. Don't worry about not knowing what you're doing - probably half the people there will be in the same boat, and the other half are glad you've joined the ranks.

Good luck. You'll be glad you made the investment, and received the education such a rifle can help provide.

Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited December 30, 1999).]

The AR has a host of clones, and most are well made, but you always have to be careful when buying to be sure of what you are really getting.

The problem with AR type rifles is that they are very modular and easy to work on, so even if it says colt or Bushmaster or whatever on the rifle, it may not be all from that company.

This being said, the easiest things for the layman to look for are fit and finish; REALLY look at the rifle, does it have machine marks? Pitting? Scratches? Is it tight? Is there a large gap between the upper and lower recievers? Are the handguards tight? Does the plastic look crappy? Is the action smooth? Is the trigger pull decent? Are the sights way over to one side? Etc, etc.

Many people buy AR's without really looking at them and later find that they aren't all they are cracked up to be because the rifle is a parts gun that sombody built on the kitchen table and botched, so they sold it.

A well made parts rifle can be worth more that a factory one, just like racegun 45's, but a bad one is a bad one, and nothing can change that once you close the deal. So again, just REALLY look things over, and if you see something you don't like, just pass on that particular rifle and keep looking.

I woould advise against paying the premium for a preban rifle, as there are lots of rifles on the market that were illegally assembled after the ban and look just like a preban, but aren't. Best just to stay away from that whole thing, and get a postban.

Lots of info about this and other things on AR15.com, but hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Artdent.22:

Of all people who knows about ARs, Artech gotta be the one that knows the most. You'll do well if you'd listen to Artech's reply to this topic. He used (still?)to work for an EXCELLENT company that manufacture ARs. I think he was a customer technical support. He'd help me with some questions before and his knowledge trully amazes me!

Johannes

Definitely what artech said. Especially on pre vs. post bans. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there trying to pawn off a postban as a preban. If you decide to go with the preban though, stick with Bushmaster or Colt, get the serial number, and call the manufacturer up to find out if it left the factory as a complete rifle or as a lower only.
That being said, your next concern will be a supply of mags. Stick with the USGI type and you will be fine. They don't need to be New In Wrap to work. I personally prefer 20 round mags as opposed to the 30s because I can shoot prone and off the bench with the 20s. The 30s are a little too long to do that for me, though I'm sure people successfully do it all the time. As for mag prices, the sky is the limit. I did just buy several USGI 20 rounders with 90% finish for $17 each. But, there again, there are a lot of gougers out there. As long as the mag feed lips are in good shape and it isn't dented you can always replace the spring, follower and base plate; as well as refinish the mag body if you desire.

Good luck in your purchase and definitely visit ar15.com. Stick with a Bushy or Colt and you should be ok.

2 thoughts.

Artech is perhaps the most knowledgable individual amongst us when it comes to the AR family of rifles. He benefits from years in the business.

Stay away from ASA or Hesse products. When you surf through AR15.com, you'll see why.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back