AR15 in 7.62x39

pippin53

Anyone have one of these?
How well do they work?
Do they change out easily with a .223 lower?
What is the availability of mags and how much?

Thanks,
Ken

I have a new Olympic A3-just swapped a Colt A2 for it. I like the Oly more since it shoots common steel cased ammo better than the Colt did. Accuracy is good with proper ammo. I've shot MFS brass case, boxer primed FMJ and Hornady steel cased SST besides some handloads. Not a one hole shooter but definately under 1.5" and some much less.
Mag availability is problematic(especially right now) but C-Products(now ASC) mags work well. They show up here and there. I had some "Frankenmags"(AR upper body TIG welded to an AK lower part) but sold them years ago when the C-P mags started showing up in useable numbers. Current prices are all over the place and careful shopping is imperative.
As far as compatability, it depends on the individual upper/lower. Some will pin together w/o issue. Some will be a little sloppy. Some will be so tight as to require a little "adjusting" before the pins will insert.

a buddy had a DPMS & was really disapointed... his intention was to have one that would shoot the cheap ammo... found out after he bought it, there was a warning to only shoot brass cased ammo... he got rid of it a little while back, when the hype started...

just a warning, in case you were hoping to shoot steel cased ammo, to check out the warnings that come with the gun, before buying...

& BTW... this is in the wrong section...;)

have a bushmaster upper in m4 style. works fine with fmj. soft-nosed hunting rounds of 150+ grains sometimes get stuck when feeding. 120ish grain hornady sp ammo runs fine.

cproducts mags for me also. I

my older brother has one. his was a build it youself deal so you can take this with a grain of salt but getting it running was a huge ordeal.

first it wouldn't go off regularly, so he had to upgrade firing pin assembly.

then he snapped an extractor after less than 50 rounds of tula(steel cased) through it.

then he couldn't get it to feed properly, he had to upgrade the follower springs in all of his mags to get it to feed and now

final result is a somewhat OK 7.62x39 that can't shoot steel cased ammo and can't feed hollow points...

I personally would never own one myself after all he's had to go through.

Back