AR15 extraction

jetrecbn1

Received an AR15 as a graduation gift from my cousin. He told me he could not fix the extraction problem. He replaced the extractor and it still does not extract. Friends of mine (USMC and Army) inspected it and said the gas system is fine but the extractor does not move freely even after the installation of the second extractor. Could the bolt be the problem? Need help to make this gift work.

i would install a new bolt and headspace check the combo out.
If that doesn't cure it, it could be the chamber

Whos make is the AR?

dZ

When you say it doesn't extract, how exactly. Does the extractor not go over the rim of the cartridge, does it just not pull it out of the chamber, or does it take off a chunk of the rim?

If the ammo is a good quality surplus or commerical brand, and the extractor is good, and the gas system is good, then as suggested check the chamber. It could be too tight.

Solved it. The extractor was not going over the rim consistently. Tried different ammo and it did not seem to work. I received this rifle with less than fifty rounds through it because it kept on jamming. I guess I loosened it up a bit putting 200 rounds through it yesterday. Now it's alright. Thanks for being concerned.

lets see
spend 100 bucks fixing a gift gun
or spend a thousand on a new FAL...

lets get some facts

who's make is the upper?
what are the codes on the barrel?

try swapping in another bolt from another gun

it maybe chamber roughness & a smith needs to ream the chamber

i don't think its scrap heap time yet!
:)
we can make it work!

dZ