AR15 equal to Bushmaster?

skeeter

Would appreciate what to look for when buying a new Bushmaster or AR15. Can only afford a post ban rifle and wonder which one is better. Any information would be appreciated.What is a good price for the Ar and BM?

Bushmaster is one of several manufacturers that produce the AR-15 rifle. Colt, Olympic, Armalite are some others. Bushmaster 15's seem to be the most popular in regards to price and overall value. For everything you ever needed to know about AR15, go to

http://ar15.com/

[This message has been edited by TABING (edited March 05, 2000).]

http://www.ar15.com is an excellant place to go to learn about AR clones. Especially read the posts at the manufacturer forums and you'll learn which brands to stay away from.

FYI, BM is a good brand & writer John Feamster (Precision Shooter/Tactical Shooter magazine) author of Black Magic considers it to be up there with Colt. One thing about Colt is that they use irregular sized parts. The pins to hold the trigger and hammer are a little larger, thereby precluding the use of surplus parts. It also makes replacement of parts expensive unlike Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, DPMS, Armalite, etc. That said, Colts command a higher resale value because of name recognition.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

see what is in stock
bolts are a big backorder item right now
suposedly 5000 were declared non spec by FN this winter and FN absorbed the ones destined to the public market

i benchmark a good price by checking Jersey City Armory
* Bushmaster 20 Inch A2 Target Rifle - $770.00 http://pages.hotbot.com/biz/jcarmory/page2A.html

HTH

dZ

At the risk of being a big pain, the following might be worth thinking about.

Came upon a link to an outlet calling itself Jersey City Armory, which had a seemingly comprehensive listing of semi-automatic rifles. In their listing/ad, which started out with ASSAULT RIFLES IN STOCK, they used the term "assault rifles" several times", no mention of their being a Class 3 Dealer was make, nor appeared.

Since they made no mention of being a class 3 Dealer, I assume that they are NOT dealing in AUTOMATIC WEAPONS, which leads me to ponder the following: With all the problems that we face, some of which are self created, some created by others, DO WE REALLY NEED THIS SORT OF ADVERTIZING?

I also noted 2 different prices, one "cash", one "credit card", there being about $50 difference. Others can do what they like, but for yours truly, anyone who tried to charge me EXTRA for using a credit card, and we are not talking about a $10 purchase, can Whistle Dixie Till They Are Blue In The Face, before they get any business from me.

I compared my Bushmaster HBAR with another BM, two Colts, an Olympic Arms and a DPMS. DPMS and BM seemed similar in quality with DPMS more oriented towards target shooting. Oly and COlt were not quite as good (pre-ban Colt even) and the veracity to mil-surplus specs was on the side of BM (i.e. part would match). Colt had all sorts of cute internal blocks to make conversion to auto more difficult but which also precluded use of standard parts and just annoyed me.

alan,
Have you actually done business with Jersey City Armory? If so, I'm sure we'd all like to hear the details of how good or bad their internet business is conducted.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited March 05, 2000).]

Not much chance that those guys at Jersey City Armory will be whistling "Dixie". I have heard that they have great prices. Never dealt with them, however.

Mykl:

In answer to your question(s), I have NOT done business with Jersey City Armory. I had previously heard NOTHING about them, good, bad or indifferent, however at least some of the prices quoted sound fair enough. Matter of fact, until I saw the link that DZ mentioned, I didn't know that they existed.

My "pique" with them revolved about 2 things, which I thought I had made clear enough. One is the fact of extra charge for the use of credit cards. We are not involved in/with $10.00 purchases, but of course, they can run their business any way they like.

The other is, I think, much more important, and involves semantics. Gun owners, shooters and so forth, have taken one hell of a beating over semantics, this baloney over "assault rifles" is a clear example of that. Do we really want to use term that carries with it, such perjorative baggage, I would think not, but that's just my thinking.

Additionally, there is the military definition, which in my mind is THE SOLE AND ONLY WORTHWHILE DEFINITION for the genre. Let's not play into the hands of our enemies.

Perhaps I have made a mountain out of a few grains of sand, I will allow others to make that particular judgement.

JCA has a good rep on AR15.com for great prices and good service

if they can get you a Bushie at a low price then it's worth the effort to send them a postal check

the reason they have low prices is low overhead. Credit cards do add to the cost of doing business. I have heard 2-3 percent, and paymore to buy a gun with a CC at gun stores too.

want a high price benchmark?
BMA2T A2 rifle, 20" barrel, standard stock
$925.00
http://www.cfiarms.com/body.html?id=ca/01&token=f2bb07e517567

i agree that JCA has poor wording on the website

dZ

To be frank, IMHO it is expensive for companies to take credit cards, especially for large purchases. If you want to see someone really choke, negotiate your best price on a Jaguar, and then tell them you want to pay for it with an American Express card. ;) You're going to take much of their gross profit.

The merchant pays a discount fee, as well as 2 other fees. 2-3% discount is in the neighborhood. Most businesses operate on much smaller margins than is usually believed by the consumer.

If you buy from out of state, remember to consider the local FFL fee you will incur to get the rifle to you. Consider supporting a good, local retailer, if the numbers make sense.

As noted above, hang around www.ar15.com - another great source of info.

Most folks buying Bushmasters seem to prefer the 'Shorty' and 'Dissipator' models. Buy lots of magazines, both 30 and 20 rounders. Soon. Mil-spec. AR15.com has good info on mag's as well - also ask BM what they recommend.

Good luck. Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited March 08, 2000).]

If you can afford the extra money and dont mind the cheezy green stocks go with Amralite.Fit finish feel is second to none.Accuracy is amazing.Cloverleaf at 100 yards with a decent scope.You cant beat em.

Back