AR15 Ear protection

Drummer101

I was able to shoot my new AR15 yesterday (first time really shooting one for more than 3 shots). I was able to get a Colt LE6920.

And I found out that because of the stock design (ie. straight with a detached grip) the normal ear defenders I normally use are not ideal (I have not found a pair of plugs that I like for many years, I have very small ears). I can deal with it for awhile but it is not good long term situation.

Way I see it I have two choices.

1) Sell the rifle and take a loss (M1A is the next one on my list)
2) Fork over the money for a scope and ditch the irons
3) Custom molded ear plugs

Option three I think is the better one. But I am not sure if it would even work. I have never found anything in ear for me that works, this includes Sure in ear headphones, dozens of different ear plugs over the years (drumline and factory work), or any other in ear head phones. It makes me a little nervous about spending the money.

For custom molded ear plugs who is your preferred company? I am in Houston TX so I am sure I could find an audiologist locally to get molds if required.

What is a typical cost of something like that? I see anywhere from $150 to $700 with little reason for the difference.

I am also thinking a rating of 28NRR or better would be what I need?

Any help is appreciated.

Linear Comp may help. 20 inch barrel will help as well. That's if you wanna keep the AR.
You can also raise your sights up.

I saw a product advertised in a magazine that caught my eye. I think it is called "The Warden" attached to the end of the barrel and directs muzzle force and sound? forward. The intended result being quieter for the operator and range mates?? Think it is a Surefire product. Worth a look perhaps.

Custom ear plugs are a good idea if normal ones don't work for you.

Additionally, I'd say get different ear muffs and/or keep your head more vertical while shooting. I know I have trouble with some large ear muffs and rifles. For a budget, I really like the Howard Leight Impact Sport ones. Sordin/Peltor, if you want to spend a bit more.

drummer said:
And I found out that because of the stock design (ie. straight with a detached grip) the normal ear defenders I normally use are not ideal (I have not found a pair of plugs that I like for many years, I have very small ears). I can deal with it for awhile but it is not good long term situation.

Way I see it I have two choices.

1) Sell the rifle and take a loss (M1A is the next one on my list)
2) Fork over the money for a scope and ditch the irons
3) Custom molded ear plugs

Or

4) Buy a box of cheap, disposable ear plugs and a pair of muffs. On your right side, slide the muff up so it is keeping your ear plug in. This lets you use the correct cheek/nose position for your AR. If you get electronic muffs and turn them up, you will be able to hear people speaking through your ear plugs.

I use the Otis Ear Shields. Try em, you'll like em. Oh, and they work just fine when i'm shooting my 7mm Rem Mag.

Learn to live with using the foam disposable plugs or get a set of "better ones with the "valve" inside. No need to spend $200 on "custom" for a couple of hours a month. You could also remove the flash hider and put on a thread protector for $10.

I agree take the flash hider off and put on a thread protector. More of the noise will go down range

I bought a set of 'DeciBullz' ear plugs that you mold yourself at home - they have a better NRR than most, have easily replaceable foam tips and I can wear them all day long without the discomfort I was having with most plugs I have used. Only about $30 IIRC

With any luck, the Silencer law will be scrapped Hearing protection law will come in, I hope so, my Steyr AUG would be perfect for that.

I use foam plugs and Walker's "Razor Slim Low Profile" Electronic muffs.

The slimmer muff design works better with most rifles, and isn't too bad when slid up a bit on certain ARs.

But... I always stuff foam plugs in my ears, too.

Plugs first. Muffs secondary.

You can make your own custom plugs for about $15.
The last person that I saw get custom plugs professionally made paid about $130 ("sit there, with your head on the pad, while I cram a cotton ball in your ear and pour goo over it...").

I use Peltor Shotgunner earmuffs or Howard Leight amplified earmuffs, over good foam plugs. Both those earmuffs are slimline and (for me) work well with an AR or a Tavor.

Back